Applying Fipronil To Cats

Kelise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

I live in a desert and don't usually have a lot of tick or flea problems. But this year, there are so many ticks. I think I've only seen a tick once here, but this year they are everywhere. I found 3 ticks on my dog and some fleas. So I put fipronil on all of my dogs. I didn't put it on the cats. But last night I found a tick on ME. And that is where the line is crossed. The cats needs tick stuff. I hate ticks.

But I also know that fipronil is pretty toxic when ingested. How exactly does one stop cats from licking it off? They are cats after all. An e-collar and keeping them away from each other for 24 hours?

I'm new to the whole flea/tick medication thing, just never needed it before. So sorry if this is a basic question.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using Frontline? What do you mean by fipronil? Is it a kind of drops or just it directly itself?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fipronil is the active ingredient in Frontline, so yes. Along with (S)-methoprene.

It's a small pipette of liquid that you are supposed to apply to the skin between the shoulder blades. It takes 24 hours to absorb and distribute across the body.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can't reach it if you put it in the right spot. I find the area between the shoulder blades, then go a little bit above it, part the hair, put it down to the skin. It takes a day or 2 to dry.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used frontline in the past but in the south here the fleas have pretty much become immune to it. I have never had to use a cone or shirt after apply flea drops. I did have one cat lick it once drooled a bit but never did that again.