Apple Blossoms and Cats

hanbag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today, after foolishly picking some crab apple blossom branches and arranging them in a vase,
I did a Google search and learned that apple blossoms are poisonous to cats. I took the blossoms and put them back outside because it's just not worth it to me to put her in danger. She smelled them but didn't ingest any, but it got me wondering. Does anyone know how much of an apple blossom is lethal to a cat? If my cat were to find one or two petals that fell into places unseen and nibble them, would that be enough to kill her, or would I even see symptoms of cyanide poisoning?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Apple

According to this, it is the stem, leaves, and seeds which contain the cyanide. I believe that cyanide is made from the seeds and stones of these plants, not the blossoms. However, watch for any sign that something is not right and if you are not sure what your cat might have done ( I am sure you did bring in the leaves along with the blossoms) call your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hanbag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for your help. I did bring the leaves in too, but it was only the blossom petals that were falling off, and I know for a fact she didn't eat any leaves. Thanks again!