Appetite Off

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wasn't sure where to put this, so i figured 'Health" was a good start.

Casper, 11 years old, is a very good eater.  Anything we put down in front of him is good food.  We can change foods on him and he easily acclimates and rarely turns his nose up at anything.  The only thing he ever didn't want to eat was canned duck food.  Yuck to duck he said 

Recently, we started feeding him Blue Buffalo's canned Spa Wellness in the mornings.  He used to have issues vomiting early in the day periodically and since we switched over to this food, not once has he done so.  Pretty awesome.  In the evenings, he gets a high quality kibble; it had been Orijen but we're having trouble getting it now so i went back to one of Blue Buffalo's Freedom Grain Free.

He rarely gets treats or table scraps. When he does, it is plain fish or chicken/meat. We're very cautious about what goes into him.

Anyway - the past couple of weeks have been stressful here.  We went through Hurricane Sandy.  While we and our home are fine, we didn't have power for nearly a week and were pretty much living in the dark and cold for that time, with no real routine to speak of.  Casper seemed to be behaving somewhat differently, a bit less playful, wasn't as social with us as he typically is.  We tried hard to keep him involved with us as much as possible to give him a sense that everything was ok but I really believe he knew something wasn't right.

Now that things are more back to normal, he doesn't seem to have the same appetite he did before.  He appears ok otherwise; is using the litterbox, playing (in fact, right now he's madly running through the house chasing his 'mouse' and attacking the carpet lol), affectionate, etc.  But we'll give him the wet food and he is barely touching it.  At first, I thought he just decided he didn't like the flavor I put down that morning.  Left it down for about an hour, then removed it.  Gave him some kibble instead which he also hardly touched.  Later that day at his dinner, he also didn't seem very interested in his food.

The next day instead of trying to finish off that can I opened another flavor (a seafood one).  This too, he only nibbled at.  Maybe ate 1/4 a can if that.  At dinner, he didn't exactly wolf things down as he usually would - in the morning there was still some in the bowl which is very unusual for him.

Today, I fed him the rest of the can and he again, didn't have much interest in it. He ate half of it and it's been hours so I'm removing it now. So that's only 1/4 a can.  I even tried giving him a tablespoon or so of milk (which he does tolerate and enjoys as a treat) because he saw my BF drinking a glass and seemed highly interested. Put it into a small dish, he looked at it and walked away.  That, was odd to me because he usually scoffs that right up.

It isn't like he is going to starve - he has been eating in total about 1/4 can of the wet food plus about 1/4 cup of the kibble each day for the past 3 days.  He is drinking his water, normally - not to excess.  

Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?  He seems perfectly fine otherwise - just not overly hungry, and other than being a bit more vocal than usual  (he's been meowing while playing which he typically never does), he's not presenting any other symptoms which would clue us into what may be wrong (or not) with him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could very well be the stress.  Have you tried warming up the canned food to enhance the aroma and make it more appetizing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did this morning.  Maybe it helped a little bit.

We did just have a major play session with him, with a ball of paper tied to a long piece of twine, and then rewarded him with food afterwards.  That, seemed to help also.  I guess getting his prey instinct involved is useful too.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh!  And what about getting a Feliway diffuser if you're able to order online or get out to a pet store?

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would like to see you switch foods as I've been hearing bad things recently about Blue Buffalo and pets getting very sick on it! Of course I can't prove it was the food and I have no way of knowing but when people start reporting issues like this, I typically stay away from that food. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read nearly all those reviews for Blue Buffalo.  99% of them relate to the dog food.  There was hardly any complaining about the cat foods.

Additionally, as I mentioned, my cat has been doing better with his vomiting history since I switched over to the wet BB food.  He's more satisfied and begging us less for food and his stools are normal.

It sounds like there actually could be an issue with the dog food, however, I dislike being an alarmist and making an assumption that the cat food is equally as "bad" when my experience proves otherwise.

However, thanks for the heads up.  

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something else to think about since he is 11 and is "older" is that he could possibly be getting sick.  I'm not saying that he is, but with older kitties stress can cause upper respiratory infections and urinary tract infections.  I would say that if he's not much improved by tomorrow, I'd at least call the vet and see what they recommend.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did think of that.  He hasn't been sneezing thankfully or no more than usual (he does occasionally in general).  He had a UTI once before, about a year ago so we're pretty good now at knowing the signs.  Last time he would stand at the bottom of the stairs and yowl incessantly as if afraid to go up to the litterbox - and then once there make a lot of noise in it.  None of those things are happening and his output seems normal thus far.  We're keeping an eye on that end of things for sure.  Dinner time is 15 minutes from now so we'll see how he does then.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meh.  He nibbled at his kibble, however, I decided to try out giving him a couple of tablespoons of good tuna fish - Bumblebee has a premium albacore that we really like and always have on hand.

He scoffed that up but good lol.  Now I'm wondering if perhaps he just decided he's bored with the other food or something.  Maybe he is just out of sorts from all the turmoil that has gone on here at home over the past couple of weeks.  At dinner, he was sitting at our feet waiting for a handout which of course he didn't get since we were eating shrimp parmigiana and pasta.  Obviously, he was interested in the food which was a good sign.  Just not his food.

Cats!

I think I'll stop at our local little pet store on the way home tomorrow and pick up something else for him to try and see if that helps.  That store is the one I was buying the Orijens at, and they stock a lot of the better quality foods which can't be purchased in supermarkets or the big box stores.  

Of course it occurs to me the other option is - maybe he's been listening to us talk about adopting another kitty and has decided he's going on a hunger strike to protest 

Last edited: