Apparently, I'm weird....

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, so what else is new...
...but this is a specific "weirdness". My co-workers and other people I know think I'm strange because I leave empty boxes laying around for the cats. For example, 2 weeks ago we had to get a new coffee maker and the box is good sized. Being lazy, we left it on the floor overnight...only to find it makes the perfect cat hide-a-way. I tried to throw it away a few times, but every time I picked it up, it had a cat in it. So I did move it to the corner of the kitchen instead of the middle of the floor...but it's still there.

The box my SS present came in 2 years ago sat in the dining room until....well...last Christmas.
We always have extra 12 pack soda boxes laying around because the cats love to play in them. Does that make me weird? Or a bad housekeeper? What really stinks is the kitchen is the first thing you see coming into our house so it ALWAYS looks a mess.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
How dare they suggest getting rid of the perfect cat toy?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...I don't see the problem here!
of course, we were just discussing how the crock pot box (I got the crock pot before thanksgiving) just couldn't go because the cats love it so much. Maybe if I put some contact paper over it to match the decor, LOL!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I don't consider that weird at all! My parents had a Listerine box in the middle of their living room floor....for about 6 years...until it finally fell apart from Samson sleeping in it (he was way too big for it, and the corners finally ripped apart!) Nope, not weird at all!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who actually does paper over empty boxes so they look a bit more decorative while her kitties play with them...I'm too lazy. Right now I have an empty shoe box near the coffee table. Also, I bring home the white shipping paper from packages received at the offices because my little girl in particular loves to leap on and under the paper (usually at 3:00 in the morning) - that's sitting right outside the coat closet, which you immediately see was you entered - actually, it's worse - closet door is mirrored, so you get a really good view!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Oh, I don't consider that weird at all! My parents had a Listerine box in the middle of their living room floor....for about 6 years...until it finally fell apart from Samson sleeping in it (he was way too big for it, and the corners finally ripped apart!) Nope, not weird at all!
haven't your parents ever heard of duct tape? LOL!

I just cleaned up a bunch of boxes out of the living room. Now we are back to the normal six, (three of those duct taped together these days) plus the one on the chair, and the one on the bed. Oh, I guess that makes eight.

Nah, you're not weird. I feel sorry for cats who don't have a lot of card board box furniture and Forts!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the post - yep, we're Box City, too. We have the store-bought beds, but it's the boxes that get the most attention.

I'm about ready to put a sign on my front door that reads something like, "It's not messy, it just that cats live here, too."

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am making a teeny little cardboard box for my Ginger sculpture mini-cat to hang out in on top of my computer monitor.
That takes a special kind of weird, and I make no appologies for it!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey - when I see a box, I immediatly size it up for cat playability. My livingroom floor often looks like a loading dock!!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Hey - when I see a box, I immediatly size it up for cat playability. My livingroom floor often looks like a loading dock!!
Ditto that - when we go to Sam's Club there are all sorts of boxes just waiting to come home with us for cat enjoyment.

ruboid123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not weird to me either. I thought any empty box was automatically a cat toy. The bigger the cat, the smaller the box they try to get into

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not weird at all. I have to replace boxes every week or so. The bobcats go through them in no time. I come home and the boxes are torn up into lots of pieces or flattened out. Sometimes there are toilet paper and paper towel rolls on the floor, as well as egg cartons. Those only last a couple hours if that, before they are shredded

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

ok, so what else is new...
...but this is a specific "weirdness". My co-workers and other people I know think I'm strange because I leave empty boxes laying around for the cats.
I leave large paper sacks, so who is the weirdest?

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bean just got his first "Box toy" the other day. It's a box that barely fits him so when he crawls through the opening in the front his big rear is still hanging out.

Ever since then I've been looking for more boxes to give to him, but my grandpa doesn't like the idea of empty boxes with holes in them lying around the basement.

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I baked a cake a few months ago, and when I went to get my cake storer, I realized I had the top (2 tops actually, a short one for short cakes and a deep one for taller cakes) but no platter. So I left the tops on the dining room table and went to Wal-Mart to buy a new one. When I got home there was a cat in each lid. SO I put them on the lfoor in the living room and they've been there since. So I do not think you're weird in the least bit.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you are weird. At the moment we have a box from a coffee maker I got for my birthday sitting in the living room with a blanket shoved into it b/c Nora liked it. I also have a very old box from a humidifier sitting in our computer room and she gets in it all the time. We have other various boxes around the house for her to play in also. She loves boxes.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be weirder not to keep all the boxes lying around.
We have always few, but mostly smallish plastic boxes which had meat or other food in them originally. I have one plastic box on my night stand and Luna sleeps in it every night.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I am out driving and I see a refrigerator box out to the road, I am sooooo tempted to get it and cut little doors and windows in it.

Oh the neat fort I could make for them!!

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LoL Cute thread!

My 10 yr old Mystyc's fave bed for years was a campbels box (cambels dishes came in) with just a simple pillow in it. She had that box forever, until my bro's gf threw it away
I told her she could have given it back to me for my Manxie girl Ladi NyghtShade. She said 'Well I bought her a nice bed to sleep in'. That didn't get me my kitty box back!!
Some people just don't understand how kitties are with their boxes.

We are moving into our house atm. Every box that gets emptied ends up in the middle of the living room, when I go to pick them up to throw them in the basement, it's usually pretty heavy because Shadey Ladi packed herself into it!

Just before we moved while I was packing, I had to keep taking her out of each box I set out to fill... She thought it was great fun, I found it to be a little wrinkle in my plans.

Yeah, we have boxes that are old, in our storage unit, duct taped or packing taped just cuz our kitties love them. ATM I only have one cat living with me, but I 'SAY' I have 3.
Even though two of them have been living with my brother and his gf for about a year and a half. I am still the only one who can call MyRage and she comes runnin... I miss her.

You are just a slave to your kitties as we all should be. Their happiness is more important then the beauty of our home. Speaking of... I have some mousies to find and put back on her furniture. She seems to think they belong all over my house!

...Just an after thought... weren't boxes made for cats anyway, humans just found them useful and started packing stuff in them. Cats rule the world after all...