Apoquel for cats- has anyone tried it?

Kmarafoxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a cat that had licked and scratched herself bald in many spots on her body. We had her allergy tested, do food elimination , tried steroids, steroid shots, allergy shots...nothing stopped her itching/licking. We knew she was uncomfortable...after talking to a friend who is a vet tech, she told me about Atopica and apoquel, that I should ask my vet about it. We ended up getting the Apoquel 5.4mg, within 48 hours she was a different cat, and it’s been 5 months and she has her beautiful fur back and she’s happy and playful. I hate to know the possible side effects, but I want her comfortable and happy...I am planning on contacting the vet to see if it’s possible to get her off this drug or if this is a forever thing? Has anyone had success with this drug and then tried to reduce or eliminate it completely? From reading all the replies here, seems like every cat responds so differently!

GoudaCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been in remission of diabetes for about 4 months. We had a case of fleas and have been fighting the fleas for 2 months, now. I spray with Knock Out every 2 weeks, he's on Revolution, and eats diabetic Hills Formula Cat food for a year. He is so battered from tearing out fur and licking. The vet started him on Apoquel (because steroids would trigger his diabetes again) and his hair started to return and licking was at a minimal. When he transitioned into one pill a day, the licking got worse. When he ended the run of medication, he got really bad again, even with Zyrtex. He's back on Apoquel and his licking has subsided. I was thinking about giving him Comfortis, but I will wait to see how the last month of the flea program goes. It takes 3 months to get rid of fleas, if you keep spaying and use a flea product on the cat. Wish me luck!!!
I was wondering how your cat is doing now? I also have a diabetic cat (not yet in remission but well controlled) and the vet is looking into getting us Apoquel. I was very encouraged reading your post. The vet is contacting the drug company to figure out dosing as he's not yet ever put a cat on this, only dogs.

Minda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat has been on Apoquel 5.4 for over a year. She takes 1/2 tablet daily. If she skips a pill, she is worse about
chewing herself but she does not chew enough to make sores. She demands brushing several times a day. We have never determined what she is allergic to. We have another cat who does not have any allergies and at one time had a total of 4 cats and she was still the only one with allergies. The Apoquel is very expensive and add to that the 8 pound bag of RX cat food at $50.00 is another yikes! The allergy meds she was on before the Apoquel caused diabetes but the last 2 vet trips, her blood sugar was normal so that's a plus for the Apoquel. I'm wondering if giving her a bath weekly or every other week would help? Does anyone have a suggestion on what to bathe her with? I've only given her one bath and that was because she got into seed ticks. She was not appreciative!