Apartment inspection with a cat

raelli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in a one bedroom, one bathroom apartment and received word that the complex is inspecting units tomorrow. According to the notice, I am supposed to secure my cat, but I'm not really sure how to do that without torturing him all day. 

My kitten is about ten months old and usually has the apartment to himself during the day. My boyfriend and I will be in and out once or twice around lunchtime, but not frequently enough to bank on an inspection happening in that time frame. I have a carrier, but putting my little man in there for 8 hours without food, water, or his box seems excessively cruel. 

My boyfriend is suggesting that we keep him in the bedroom with the door closed and a sign on it, letting the inspectors know that he's in there and that he often tries to bolt for the front door when it opens. This is the only idea we've come up with so far that I feel comfortable with, but I wanted to see if anyone else has any other suggestions. He's a very friendly cat and definitely won't hurt the maintenance man.

Any ideas?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I think your plan of confining him to the bedroom with a sign would be fine. Just make sure the sign is obvious and legible.

I certainly wouldn't confine him to his carrier for an extended period of time without litter box/water access.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Securing pets during a visit is pretty routine. The bedroom idea seems most practical. 

You said you come back a couple of times during the day to check on him. Is it possible to see if they could contact you before they inspect your building or floor? If you live near enough, perhaps you can make it back quickly, secure him in the carrier and let him back out once inspection is completed? 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put the cat either in the bedroom or bathroom with the door closed. Inform management about the cats so they are aware of it. You could even go as far as putting a note on the door saying that there is a cat inside and to open the door carefully and to not let the cat out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raelli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, all! 

I work an office job but my office is located less than two miles from the apartment so I come home for lunch most days (and I will tomorrow). BF is a third year med student so he's home studying a lot but he's going to be busier than usual tomorrow, unfortunately.

Management knows we have a cat - I had to pay them the $350 pet fee, after all - and most of my neighbors do, too, so I assume they're used to dealing with them. Our complex is over 200 apartments and most residents have small pets. 

I can definitely see if they will call me prior to the inspection so I can run home, although time of day will play into that. I live in a very, very high population density area and even a mile and a half drive can take twenty minutes in peak hours. I'm considering asking the rental office to inspect while I'm home for lunch if they're open before I leave for work (varies).

Guess Albus will be in the bedroom tomorrow morning. I'll put a sign in sharpie on the bedroom door specifying that there is a cat in the bedroom and to watch when entering and exiting.