Anything topical you use to help itchy cat?

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Our cat is going through an allergy journey - we're going to start a special food diet as recommended by our vet starting as soon as our buddy's stomach settles down and slowly introduce it. He got checked out two days ago - not fleas, stool sample is in with the vet, I'm also going to deep clean our carpets (I hate that we have carpets but c'est la vie). He seems a bit itchy so I'd like to do something to help him out, I'm brushing him, but if anyone recommends anything a little bit topical that would be grand. We're also going to explore allergy meds but right now we have to take it slow and so I'd like him to feel comfortable in the meantime.

Is there anything that's the equivalent of a lotion that helps soothe skin (maybe not a lotion but you get the idea) something gentle/topical.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Neosporin is what my vet suggested for her bad acne to help with healing and itching.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Avoid tea tree oil and human steroid type creams. There are specific cat bathing/shampoo type products containing oatmeal that may help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How big is the area that you are concerned about? If not terribly big, you could consider using chamomile tea. But standard grocery store chamomile tea bags, which are almost always German (you don't want English, nor any additives/flavorings), brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp, and dab it on the area(s) with cotton balls or a soft cloth, multiple times a day or as needed. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, as well as being an anti-fungal/anti-bacterial agent. It is also safe for your cat to ingest.

if it possible that it is dry skin related V verna davies suggests - coconut oil on the tips of your fingers and massage it into the skin, it leaves the coat a little greasy for a day or so but clears up the dandruff.