Anything else I can do?

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I adopted my little girl 2 days ago from the humane society- she is 8 weeks old and has been spayed. I took her to her follow up appointment at the vet yesterday morning and she has herpes a respiratory infection and worms. She got her sutures out (from spay), dewormed, treated for ear mites, and given both a antibiotic to start later today and and probiotic to help with the worming, antibiotics, and diarrhea. Also got her some powdered lysine to mix with her wet food. She has a lot of energy and a healthy appetite... Does everything sound good? Just nervous because I have not had a kitten in over 5 years, exspecially a sick one :(

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She most likely has an upper respiratory infection, not necessarily herpes.  Herpes is common in cats adopted from shelters in the US, though and not unlikely as an underlying condition.  You can test for herpes via the PCR URD test with a specimen sent off to a lab. 

It's very, very, very common for newly adopted kitties to get URIs due to all the stress and change in their lives with a new home and environment.  Sounds like she's on the right path with the antibiotics.  If you add a teaspoon or so to the wet food, the lysine will dissolve and you can mix the water into the food.  Be sure to give her lysine twice a day as that is flushed out of the body as they urinate.  To be most effective, the lysine needs to stay in their system, thus the twice a day dose. 

I've also used acidophilus found at the health food store to help with diarrhea from antibiotics.  Just halve the tablet, crush into wet food, and mix.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Should I still give her acidophilus when the vet sent her home with FortiFlora?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
it's ok to use them both.  FortiFlora is a single strain probiotic.  Acidophilus is a different "strain". 

I use FortiFlora ONLY as a topper for my picky cat, but I use a full pledged pro-biotic in their food every single day!

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you please recommend one I can get?

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
iLactobacillus Acidophilus correct?

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok I have some Wholistic Feline Digest All Plus- ingredients are: Lipase, Protease, Amylase, Hemicellulase, Cellulase, Bromelain, Papain, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, Fructooligosaccharide

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what all that is, except Bromelain is a natural anti-inflammatory. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like the digestive enzymes I use for my senior cat.  I think basically it's a pre AND pro-biotic.  I would definitely use it

BUT, when giving an antibiotic, don't give the probiotic and antibiotic in the same time frame.  give at least 2 hours apart.

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sample fecal test is back, no parasites! Everything clear there yay!

rnsophie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yay! Glad she is doing better. Both of mine had giardia when I got them and it took months to get rid of it!

Sophie