Anyone want a black kitty?

chichi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anyone has suggested it yet, but you might try just ignoring him when he meows. It will be hard at first but eventually he will learn not to disturb you at night. My cat only meows and bangs at the door when he can sense that I'm not asleep. He's got some good senses about that. I usually don't let them sleep in the bedroom with me, because I know Wesley will wake me up a few times at night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gizzysgrandma

Do you think he might be sick instead of it being a behavior problem?? What you described is really bizarre and I don't know of any cats who go to those extremes unless they have something physically wrong and they're trying to tell you.

I dunno...I'm no cat expert but it just seems weird that he's so well fed but would hound you relentlessly all night except maybe he's not digesting the food well or something. Worms? disease? Is he getting into something you don't know about?
I know plenty of cats who go to extremes in several different aspects. I'm sure he's NOT ill... I feel very confident that I know my cat and his behavior has not changed. Oh, and if you read the WHOLE thread you'll notice that a little deterrent and he's doing much better.

I also disagree on the "wet food" thing. Like any other creature, cats get their hydration from water, not from food. But the nice thing about cats is that they never eat more than they need, that's why I keep my cats' dishes filled all the time with dry food, fresh water in a clean dish at least 2 times a day. They chow whenever they want but never eat more than a little bit every couple of hours. They are very healthy and lean. Fresh meat is always a treat too...I give them crumbled up hot dogs or chicken a few times a month. Oh and if you like to cook whole chickens, always cook up those giblet bags (don't throw them away!) Heart, liver, gizzards...they LOVE those! I saw my old girl take down a bluejay once and drag it into the bushes...I think bluejay is her favorite treat
Well, you said it... your no cat expert! Ask ank feline nutritionist and they will tell you that wet food or a raw diet are essential to a cat as that IS how they get most of their fluids... not from water. It's also NOT true that cats' stop eating when they should. There are plenty of obese cats in the world because they eat too much. It's also not a great idea to let your cat eat wildlife. Not only is it not funny but what if they eat a rodent that's been poisoned! Or a bird that is sick?! Hot dogs aren't a great idea for a treat either... there's so many additives and junk in them. Of course, I NEVER asked for feeding advice either. I asked for behavior advice... which I've gotten and it's worked!

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I go to bed around 10 PM, watch tv for a while and fall asleep. I leave my door open enough for the cats to come in. Every night shortly after I get in bed, Sweetie starts meowing lots outside the open door. I call her and she comes in and deposits her pink mouse on the bed. She then leaves. Sometimes in the middle of the night she'll come back and take the mouse and sometimes its still in bed in the morning. When she meows and I call her its like she was asking permission to come in. As far as food, cats need wet food. As I said in a post yesterday, Sweetie will overeat as long as the wet food is in her bowl, she'll eat it. Then she vomits. So I only give a 3 oz. pouch twice daily, at 6:30 AM and 5:30 PM with free feeding of dry always. Sweetie prefers wet and Juno dry. But Juno loves the gravy from the pouches. To the pouch I do add about 2 tsp. water this is to make sure Juno gets enough water. Dental health is not dependent upon dry food, but each cat has their own preference. If you have changed your cat's night habits fantastic. But as the other posters have said, you have spoiled your kittie. Good luck