Anyone Used Bravecto With Pregnant Kitty?

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We've used Revolution for years and years on all our pets, but this last month or two it's simply not working. Matter a fact, it's never fully gotten rid of the fleas my male kitty has had since coming home from breeders. That was 9 months ago. We are now dealing with full on flea infestation and I'm beyond my limit with these blood sucker parasites!

My groomer recommended Bravecto, as she said they might have built up immunity to Revolution. After researching if was safe on pregnant cats I called my vet and explained the problem, asking if they could switch my cats to this stuff. Well my vet doesn't carry it so I went to a vet that does. But the new vet gave us frontline instead. He even said I might have to alternate frontline and Revolution for a month or two for it to actually work... huh?! These medications are made to zap fleas dead by 72 hours at most. We've managed to kill 75% of the fleas on my cats by flea bath with groomer and lions cuts so it's not like that are that bad at this point. I can't see any reason why I can't give my cats something that will kill these suckers within a week! Maybe he just didn't realize the only reason I went there was to get Bravecto.

Well I decided to check my other vets online pharmacy to see if they had anything quicker and it looks like they do in fact have Bravecto for cats. I think the receptionist is new and just didn't know. So should I just get that? Btw, My queen in 1 week pregnant. I know another breeder who's pregnant queen is on it, but I wanted to get yalls opinion first.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This isn't my area, so I can't advise, but we've just moved this from another forum and want to make sure it's seen by the wonderful people here. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am going to suggest that you give each cat a Capstar pill. It will kill all of the fleas on the cats within 6 hours.

At the same time, you need to attack the infestation itself by buying a couple of cans of carpet flea spray and use it on all of the floors, carpets, and upholstery.

Wash all bedding in hot water.

Vacuum all rooms.

This will kill all eggs and larvae. This is the root of the problem.

Then, repeat the house spraying, vacuuming, and washing process again in 10 days.

Begin putting a topical flea medication on the cat's necks monthly. Bravecto is safe to use on a pregnant cat.

Be sure to give the cats each a Drontal Plus tablet to kill tapeworms that come from fleas. This needs to be given again in 2 weeks also.

Do not let the cats outside to pick up more fleas.

I hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! We are on week 3-4 in addressing the house and have made lots of progress. We spray the carpets and floors once daily and vacuum twice daily. I did the capstar followed by Advantage and my sweet kitties are now completely flea free! I was at my wits end after spending over $200 on flea meds alone (most of which didn't work:argh:)... let's not even begin to add up the cost of treating the house, yard, all the extra laundry and work involved in combating this nasty outbreak! I think we are at the finish line, or st least getting close to it :fire:

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Having been there myself at one time, I understand and know how rewarding it is to be done with fleas!

Nice job! :catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am going to suggest that you give each cat a Capstar pill. It will kill all of the fleas on the cats within 6 hours.

At the same time, you need to attack the infestation itself by buying a couple of cans of carpet flea spray and use it on all of the floors, carpets, and upholstery.

Wash all bedding in hot water.

Vacuum all rooms.

This will kill all eggs and larvae. This is the root of the problem.

Then, repeat the house spraying, vacuuming, and washing process again in 10 days.

Begin putting a topical flea medication on the cat's necks monthly. Bravecto is safe to use on a pregnant cat.

Be sure to give the cats each a Drontal Plus tablet to kill tapeworms that come from fleas. This needs to be given again in 2 weeks also.

Do not let the cats outside to pick up more fleas.

I hope this helps! :)

Quick question, you said Bravecto is safe for pregnant and nursing cats? I ordered some but Ive gotten mixed reviews on its safety during pregnancy so I decided to hold off on giving it to my queen. Have you had first hand experience with Bravecto during cat pregnancy? I'd love to only have to worry with 12 week dosing

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, I have not used Bravecto on a pregnant cat, though the manufacturer says it is safe.

I have used Advantage II on a pregnant cat with no issues.