Anyone use Royal Canin Urinary?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am getting that for Coco next Friday. The Vet ordered it a few days ago. Coco will stay on the Dry C/D. She eats that with no problem. She will get Can Royal Canin Urinary. The Vet said we can try Pro Plan Urinary also.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm using RC Urinary - so far Charlie has had no problems and not other UTI's. I also am feeding some canned (Max cat, Natural Balance and a few others)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The dry SO actually is of really decent ingrediants ... ie similiar to mid level premiums OTC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will see if Coco likes it. They had to order a Case but will sell me 1 or 2 Cans to try.I am glad your Cat likes it.

britt0285

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dad had a dog with digestive issues and the vet put her on a prescription form of the royal canin and it seemed to work well. I have never had any experience with the royal canin cat food.

kikee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is currently dealing with crsytals/blood in urine and was given the Royal Canin S/O. Sadly he is not impressed with this food one little bit. He doesnt really like the dry or the wet pouches. It is designed especially to dissolve struvite crystals but if your cat doesnt have struvite crystals then I would say keep on with the CD. Though they all have different tastes I guess, but from what I have heard from other people (Royal Canin is the main prescription diet used where I am) most cats arent very keen. Im currently on the search for a food other than CD or Royal Canin S/O for my baby. For now he is having mostly non fishy wet food and whatever he will eat of the CD.

I wish someone would make a food for FLUTD that actually tastes great!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco likes the Dry C/D but she gets Constipated alot. she hates the Wet C/D. We are just getting wet Royal Canin tp try.

stillworth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this forum when searching for opinions about RC Urinary SO. My male cat was put on it (dry version) about six weeks ago when he had a UTI. They found tons of crystals in his urine so he's supposed to be on it for life. He's handling it okay, but my female cat was also eating it and it caused her to get constipated and act rather dehydrated. I didn't know what was causing it at first (she also just went on methimazole for hyper-t) but a couple days ago I switched her back to the food she was on before and there was an almost immediate difference. I think I'm going to have to feed them separately since I'm afraid to take my male cat off it and he's reacting a little better (he has somewhat dry stools too but nothing like my other cat). I think the high sodium content is the contributing factor, and I hope the dehydration it causes isn't dangerous. I'd be curious if anybody else has had a similar experience on this food. I'd give them the canned version but they HATE it!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco is always Constipated. I am just getting Can Royal Canin to try. Coco is strange. Now she is refusing the Dry C/D and eating the Cans. I feed mine seperate. You know I think Cocos Constipation started when she started C/D almost two years ago. The other Cats have stole her food though and she has stole theres.

stillworth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Interesting. Mine never had problems with it either until this food. I bet the high sodium doesn't allow the stool to retain any water. As long as I feel confident that it's not dangerous dehydration maybe I can just get a stool softener to give them as needed. I'm also going to bring another sample to the vet in a couple weeks to make sure the crystals are actually decreasing.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stillworth

I found this forum when searching for opinions about RC Urinary SO. My male cat was put on it (dry version) about six weeks ago when he had a UTI. They found tons of crystals in his urine so he's supposed to be on it for life. He's handling it okay, but my female cat was also eating it and it caused her to get constipated and act rather dehydrated. I didn't know what was causing it at first (she also just went on methimazole for hyper-t) but a couple days ago I switched her back to the food she was on before and there was an almost immediate difference. I think I'm going to have to feed them separately since I'm afraid to take my male cat off it and he's reacting a little better (he has somewhat dry stools too but nothing like my other cat). I think the high sodium content is the contributing factor, and I hope the dehydration it causes isn't dangerous. I'd be curious if anybody else has had a similar experience on this food. I'd give them the canned version but they HATE it!
The female should NOT be eating a RX not prescribed for her ... ANY dehydration is serious

stillworth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, according to my vet, both cats can eat it. I've taken her off of it as I said.