Anyone use IMITREX for Migraines

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It works if you catch the migraine early. I can't take any medication once it's full blown, otherwise I vomit.

As for Propranolol (spelling? lol), I took that in high school. Got up to about 60 mg before the neurologist took me off them. I have naturally low BP, and it got down to 80/54 before they stopped.

Question, though: do you have TMJ? I do, and didn't know until I had severe muscle jaw pain and saw a dentist that diagnosed me. I was up to 4-5 migraines a month, each one debilitating. I was fitted with an NTI-TSS dental device and I average about 1-2 bad migraines a month. They're still bad, but not nearly as debilitating as before. I can usually control the onset with OTC meds now.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was put on IMITREX and they did not work at all for me. It did make my stomach hurt though
My dr is still trying to find something that will work for me.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I am scared to take new medicine.
I took Propranolol 3 years ago but the dr said I could stop it.
Why did he say you could stop?

Originally Posted by carolinalima

Oh, ok - I was on it for a couple of years - it is used for hypertension and migraine... It worked for a while, not anymore

Migraine SUCKS!
Originally Posted by emrldsky

As for Propranolol (spelling? lol), I took that in high school. Got up to about 60 mg before the neurologist took me off them. I have naturally low BP, and it got down to 80/54 before they stopped.

Question, though: do you have TMJ?
I went for a follow up after 30days and my BP is the same. It lowers your BP and heart rate. I already have low numbers and he feels they won't fall. He wants to keep an eye on it so I go back in 6 months.

I have TMJ but refuse to wear the mouth guards. I had one for braces and it always fell out. I am too afraid to wear them now.

Jacky do you know the cause of your migraines?

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not allowed to take them. For one thing they do not work on the type of migraines I get, and can actually make them worse, but the one or two times I took them before knowing the kind of migraines I get (hemiplegic) they made me EXTREMELY nauseous and made me vomit uncontrollably. It is now on my list of "allergic to" meds b/c of this.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I have TMJ but refuse to wear the mouth guards. I had one for braces and it always fell out. I am too afraid to wear them now.
The NTI is pricey, but it only goes on your front teeth (top or bottom) and it fits snugly. Some insurances are covering it, but ours didn't so it was $500 out of pocket (two years ago). BEST $500 we ever spent, IMO.

It prevents your teeth from making contact, putting the pressure on your front teeth. When you sleep, your body automatically releases the pressure on your front teeth, so you don't actually do any damage to them (though you can kind of gnaw on the hard plastic, and do damage to it over time).

But all in all, TMJ sufferers are known to also be chronic headache sufferers. All the muscles in your neck, jaw, and head connect with one another. If you don't allow your teeth to clench and grind, those muscles begin to relax, lowering the number of headaches you get.

Sorry, I'm off topic a bit.
I'm just SO glad I got mine and that it helps with my migraines, I can't help but tell others that they might also benefit.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Imitrex is the greatest medication on the face of the Earth! I used to have 3 to 4 migraines a week. My doctor put me on Inderal (propanolol 160mg) and now I only have them 3 or 4 times a month!!! My prescription insurance changed, and I can only get 9 Imitrex tablets/month. Now I have a script for Imitrex and Maxalt. They both work excellently for my type of migraine (tension/migraine.)

Imitrex now comes as a generic (sumatriptan) and costs much less than the name brand. The Maxalt patent expires in 2012, so it will still be a while before it's available as a generic.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
have you considered the timing of your migraine to hormone changes?

my personal experience:
- after evaluating food allergies, i.e. chocolate, milk, msg, and omitting them from my diet
- I found that keeping my hormonal balance the same all the time has relieved the migraine problem
- now, no migraines -- except if I am weak and eat a lot of chocolate, or consume milk products

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do get some before my period everymonth.
The others I get if I go out in the sun when its hot.
I pretty much now what causes them.