Anyone Use Herbs for Anxiety?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Resqchick, thank you so much for posting that questionairre! I scored a 9---no depression likely. And to almost quote binkyhoo, take that "Dr. Smartie Pants!"

Libby, this thread is important to me in so many ways. I am taking NOTES . And BIG to you today from me
Thank you, Lauren! I know your life is sort of upside-down at the moment, so having you take the time to send such good thoughts my way is very much appreciated

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Resqchick, thank you so much for posting that questionairre! I scored a 9---no depression likely. And to almost quote binkyhoo, take that "Dr. Smartie Pants!"

Thank you, Lauren! I know your life is sort of upside-down at the moment, so having you take the time to send such good thoughts my way is very much appreciated
Libby - I always have time for friends
Anyway, they turn my life back up-right
. Have not taken the questionaire yet, but will try today. Hope you are having a great day today !!!!!!!!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Lauren
I bought some St. John's Wort over the weekend, but haven't used it yet. Hopefully, it will do what I need it to do when I need it to do it

Hope you're having a great day, too, Lauren!

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On the subject of antidepressants:

My boyfriend took one from 9th grade until this year (we are 19). Not because he was clinically depressed... but because in the 6th grade, his doctor diagnosed him (wrongly) with ADD instead of bipolar II, and the medication for ADD made him feel so bad sometimes (extreme mood swings) that he contemplated suicide, so the doc just prescribed an antidepressant. No depression questionnaire or testing, just a "here you go, be happy now" pill. And his mom went along with it.

Now how screwed up is THAT? If the medicine you are giving your TEENAGER is making him so depressed that he wants to kill himself, would you just put him on yet another psychoactive drug?? Or would you do the sensible thing and just take him off the meds altogether? Or find a different ADD medicine that doesn't make him depressed? (Note: He didn't "have" the kind of ADD that makes him bounce off the walls. He had the kind that just made it harder to concentrate during school lectures, while doing homework, etc)

Then again, his younger brother and dad are both on ADD meds, and his mom takes antidepressants, so they are a very medicine-happy family.

Fortunately, he finally got the CORRECT diagnosis this year of bipolar II and is now much happier overall. He's on lamotrigine.

And that is my little rant about antidepressants.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by speakhandsforme

On the subject of antidepressants:

My boyfriend took one from 9th grade until this year (we are 19). Not because he was clinically depressed... but because in the 6th grade, his doctor diagnosed him (wrongly) with ADD instead of bipolar II, and the medication for ADD made him feel so bad sometimes (extreme mood swings) that he contemplated suicide, so the doc just prescribed an antidepressant. No depression questionnaire or testing, just a "here you go, be happy now" pill. And his mom went along with it.

Now how screwed up is THAT? If the medicine you are giving your TEENAGER is making him so depressed that he wants to kill himself, would you just put him on yet another psychoactive drug?? Or would you do the sensible thing and just take him off the meds altogether? Or find a different ADD medicine that doesn't make him depressed? (Note: He didn't "have" the kind of ADD that makes him bounce off the walls. He had the kind that just made it harder to concentrate during school lectures, while doing homework, etc)

Then again, his younger brother and dad are both on ADD meds, and his mom takes antidepressants, so they are a very medicine-happy family.

Fortunately, he finally got the CORRECT diagnosis this year of bipolar II and is now much happier overall. He's on lamotrigine.

And that is my little rant about antidepressants.
Oh boy. I hate when doctors jump on the add/adhd bandwagon without really looking at the patient. My cousin had add and does as an adult. The meds make a world of difference for her. But I see sooo many kids that the doctor wants them all doped up for it after spending 10 minutes with them.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the very late response, but here is the one my doc uses....

http://healthnet.umassmed.edu/mhealth/HAMD.pdf

Libby, do you have a good relationship with your pharmacist? Ask them about taking the SJW with your current meds..... I've found over the past 2yrs, more meds have it on their pamphlets if it's unsafe to take STW with it.

Since posting in this thread, I've actually started on an antidepressent again due to all the "stuffs" going on in my life right now. It's been a week, and I'm starting to feel some positive effects from it. Having suffered depression all my life, and panic disorder from 24 onwards, I know myself well enough to know when I need help. My only issue is the withdrawal from the meds. The last one I was on for 7yrs or so, was a 6mos withdrawal, battle through he** and back, with every physical effect you can imagine including psychosis (and no, I'm not bipolar or anything like that, just basic chronic depression) which is what kept me off of one up untill now.

Thankfully a lot has changed from the time I went thru w/d and now with the meds, the manufacturers know a lot more, and the one I'm trying has very little side effects..... I'm sensitive to meds that affect certain brain chemicals, but this one has caused dry mouth (which I get from the chronic pain meds anyways) and drowsiness so I had to switch and take it at night instead of morning. I had a headache for 3 days as well. But in the week I've been on it, I've noticed my overall anxiety level is a couple points lower, and my energy level is creeping back up and the side effects have dissipated. I am supposed to increase my dose, but am choosing not to at this point since I have seen some good effects already.

Anyways, have you tried the SJW yet? I hope you've been able to find something that works for you

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chris, I don't really have a pharmacist. We have to order our meds by mail-order to be covered under DH's insurance.
I've only taken the SWJ twice since I started the thread. I don't know if that's enough to give a good assessment. It's like I told that silly dr.--I don't need something very often, just when the world overwhelms me.