Anyone try Wisdom Panel DNA for cats?

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been doing research for cat DNA tests and there's only a few. I just ordered the Wisdom Panel one because it has the most cat breeds out of all of them on the market as of now. Has anyone tried it and found it to be pretty spot on? And if so, was the report detailed enough with breeds, wildcat, etc.? I was able to find a coupon from Iams for 20% off since it is still pricey, but it brings the cost closet to the Basepaws one I was contemplating. I just want what possible breeds my boy Raven has because his personality is not like any cat and he's also quite large for his age: as of a couple weeks ago, he was over 10 pounds at around of 6.5 months. His tail is also incredibly long and so is his body. Hear very leggy with very unique eye color. He has mackerel tabby markings, but also some spotting. The shelter has him as a domestic shorthair, but I definitely think possibly he has lynx point Siamese and either Bengal or Savannah in him. All I know is I can't wait to see the results so I can know. I don't really care about the possible inherited medical issues honestly, but they don't just make a cat breed analysis unless you're a breeder and know their parents. My guy was randomly found and brought in so that wouldn't apply for me. I've attached pics from the past couple weeks.

Attachments

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have not, but there are a few things you may want to keep in mind with cat DNA tests.

One is that unlike dogs that have been selectively bred for thousands of years most cat breeds have only been selectively bred for less then 150 years, so most (over 95%) are just "domestic cats" not any specific breed. The DNA tests can tell you what breeds your cat is most similar to though, but doesn't mean that your cat for sure actually contains any of those breeds.

You find the most genetic differences between cats originating from different regions. So they can tell if your cat has ancestry from western (Europe and America), Asian, Persian, or exotic breed(s), but past that things get rather "fuzzy". So basically if you just want to find out if he does or doesn't have any Asian (like Siamese) or exotic (like Bengal or Savannah) ancestry for example these tests will likely be able to tell you fairly accurately that much, but beyond that just which breeds you cat shares similar traits to.

Mostly those DNA tests for cats are just for fun in terms of breeds, but can be useful if you want to know genetic health of the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not, but there are a few things you may want to keep in mind with cat DNA tests.

One is that unlike dogs that have been selectively bred for thousands of years most cat breeds have only been selectively bred for less then 150 years, so most (over 95%) are just "domestic cats" not any specific breed. The DNA tests can tell you what breeds your cat is most similar to though, but doesn't mean that your cat for sure actually contains any of those breeds.

You find the most genetic differences between cats originating from different regions. So they can tell if your cat has ancestry from western (Europe and America), Asian, Persian, or exotic breed(s), but past that things get rather "fuzzy". So basically if you just want to find out if he does or doesn't have any Asian (like Siamese) or exotic (like Bengal or Savannah) ancestry for example these tests will likely be able to tell you fairly accurately that much, but beyond that just which breeds you cat shares similar traits to.

Mostly those DNA tests for cats are just for fun in terms of breeds, but can be useful if you want to know genetic health of the cat.
I did notice that with my research about the various DNA kits. His personality is so different from any cat I've ever owned (domestic shorthairs), that it makes me think he's got something else in him beside the domestic shorthair (which is basically the term for a mutt or unknown breed with cats). He's highly intelligent, extremely curious (more than an average cat), is good at finding things, gets bored easily, is quite chatty with chirps, is always in my face with whatever I'm doing, absolutely loves heights, loves running water, absolutely loves counters and tables, plays fetch, is bossy and a bit of a bully, very hilarious, very determined, loves to be held and rocked like a baby and very loving and sweet, among so many other things. He can sometimes play with his sister (about a month younger and a good 4 pounds lighter), a bit too rough, and just saying no he doesn't always listen. He's a great cat, but just how he is peaks my curiosity and would be good to know should any major health issues arise, or to confirm certain personality traits. The wisdom panel also does a blood type and they claim to be 99.9% accurate.