Anyone suffer from Panick Attacks?

antares

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I had this attacks too. My doc found out I had hyperthyroidism. After I took my medicine it is much more better. Maybe you let it check?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Antares

Hello, I had this attacks too. My doc found out I had hyperthyroidism. After I took my medicine it is much more better. Maybe you let it check?
I don't have that...I have been tested

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never had panic attacks until about 13 years ago (when i was about 42 years old)...so when they started happening we did`nt know what they were...OVERWHELMING feelings of dread...felt like someone was screaming inside me, just below the surface. Sometimes i felt like running wild...or throwing up...could`nt sleep...then I started gettying "flash pictures" in my mind....actually thought I was going "nuts-o"!
Then I started piecing together things that i had always remembered and realized there was a WHOLE LOT more to my childhood than I had previously remembered.
I spent a few years dealing with some pretty heavy issues....but it was worth it. Thins are so much better now...and a lot of the phobias I used to have have come to light as to "WHY" there were fears...and greatly deminished!!! I enjoy life a whole lot more since spending some time shedding the denial and dealing with it.
I`m sure people can have panic attacks for other reasons that mine...even physical reasons...so not everyone who has them was abused like I was. (Although I`m not sure which would be worse...because I`m not sure what the treatment is ...if there is one...for those who suffer from physical related panic attacks?????)
Linda

prosperity

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had panic attacks for 30 years. When I had insurance I did all kinds of therapy and drugs. Nothing really helped.

I retired two years ago and I haven't had one since. It appears that stress and crowds are what triggers mine. Now, I stay home and teach piano lessons. I have taught piano, in my living room, for 31 years. That seems to be my comfort zone and I can make a living at it.

joobihlee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suffer with panic attacks when i feel i can't get away from somewhere or something. I used to get them a lot during my art history lectures at university when the lights would be turned off and the doors closed and I could feel a hundred people all around me,i couldn't see and I felt like I was trapped. My ears ring, i feel like i'm going to throw up, my eyes flash, i get dizzy, my hands sweat. I used to say I needed the toilet so I could get away but then I linked the panic to needing the toilet and eveytime I had to go I got a panic attack. I also linked the attacks to all lectures so I was terrified of going to lectures and had an attack every time I thought about them. I would cry, I was scared that I would fail my degree.

Anyway, my doctor put me on Seroxat and it made things a million times worse. I stopped having attacks but I went into a huge depression. I didn't get out of bed for 3 months except when it was dark. I became suicidal. My partner had to restrain me because i kept trying to throw myself down stairs and off the balcony. This is totally out of character for me, I'm a happy person, I just suffer from anxiety sometimes.

My point is, medication should be an ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT. You need to deal with why you're panicking and not try to just cover up the symptoms. I ride the panic out, I understand why i'm panicking, and as horrible as it feels, I can deal with it. Things are much better now.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have panic attacks. I have agoraphobia, which is fear of the fear. It starts out with Panic attacks of things, and then it gets to the point that you have panic attacks just fearing having a panic attack. Although most agoraphobics are housebound, because they have attacks just going out the door, I'm not housebound, but I do have problems in stores and in open spaces.

bossinova

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to get panic attacks daily. As a teenager, it was terrible. I started taking Prozac at my Dr.'s advice, and this helped tremendously. I felt so much better about two years later, I weaned myself off of it. When my stress levels are high, I am prone to attacks. A few years ago, I got them every single night. I, too, am afraid of vomiting, and that seems to be a trigger for me. If my stomach is upset, I can feel the beginning symptoms coming on.

Over the years, I have learned to try and calm myself. I have learned recently, though, that if I just tell myself that I can make it through this, I will feel better soon, that I really will be okay and I will come out of it. I read somewhere that they only last a few minutes (what?? feels like an eternity to me!!), and I try to remind myself of that.

My husband is awesome, too. I have a weird fear of vomiting, and since I haven't really vomited in like 15 years (I honestly will do absolutely anything to not throw up), I am afraid that I won't feel it coming up, and will make a mess. I know, weird. But my husband over the years has learned how to talk me out of these moments, and is excellent at comforting my silly fears.

Good luck to everyone who is plagued with these terrifying moments. Don't forget that you aren't alone, and there are a lot of people who understand exactly how you feel!

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have suffered from panic attacks for about the last four years. The first couple of years, I didn't even know what was happening to me.

It's like they start in my nose -- I've never heard anyone else describe them that way, but for me they do. My nose feels like someone is pressing on it deep inside so I can't get any air, and then the suffocating sensation spreads throughout my head and my chest, and I just feel like I want to throw up and pass out at the same time.

I have done two things to deal with the attacks. One is to get my doctor to prescribe an anti-anxialitic (in my case, BuSpar). The other is to start exercising daily. So far, those two things have kept the attacks away for the most part.

Before I had my cats, I used to not care if I lived or died. Now I have to live, I'm a mommy! LOL

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I have panic attacks. I have agoraphobia, which is fear of the fear. It starts out with Panic attacks of things, and then it gets to the point that you have panic attacks just fearing having a panic attack. Although most agoraphobics are housebound, because they have attacks just going out the door, I'm not housebound, but I do have problems in stores and in open spaces.
Actually, Hope, Agoraphobia is technically 'fear of open spaces', not 'fear of fear'.
You can be afraid of open spaces due to having attacks in the open which is common, which then leads to being housebound as this is where you tend to feel safe...

I have panic disorder with agoraphobia (which wanes off and on).

Antares had a good point about having a medical workup before diagnosing yourself with anxiety or panic. Hyperthyroid is a common physical culprit when it comes to similiar symptoms.

And having panic attacks is not the same as having Panic Disorder.

EVERYONE has panic attacks. ITs just that 2% of the population have a quantity of panic attacks that debiliates you in terms of going out, socializing, etc. etc..If I recall in the DSM V, its more than 4-5 panic attacks in one week accompanied by anticipatory anxiety (which , over time, is often the biggest problem for someone with panic..anticipating the attacks).

People with anxiety disorders also suffer from secondary depression much of the time due to how their anxiety restricts their quality of life.

I have had CBT therapy, group therapy, and med. therapy in combinations.
I am currently off meds and attend therapy once a week in conjunction with practicing my CBT methods and others to allow me to get through....

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Valerian root or Kava. Those seem to work for me...of course, they also have a tendency to knock me right out. Also, when I started to excercise regularly mine seemed to calm down a bit.

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bossinova

I used to get panic attacks daily. As a teenager, it was terrible. I started taking Prozac at my Dr.'s advice, and this helped tremendously. I felt so much better about two years later, I weaned myself off of it. When my stress levels are high, I am prone to attacks. A few years ago, I got them every single night. I, too, am afraid of vomiting, and that seems to be a trigger for me. If my stomach is upset, I can feel the beginning symptoms coming on.

Over the years, I have learned to try and calm myself. I have learned recently, though, that if I just tell myself that I can make it through this, I will feel better soon, that I really will be okay and I will come out of it. I read somewhere that they only last a few minutes (what?? feels like an eternity to me!!), and I try to remind myself of that.

My husband is awesome, too. I have a weird fear of vomiting, and since I haven't really vomited in like 15 years (I honestly will do absolutely anything to not throw up), I am afraid that I won't feel it coming up, and will make a mess. I know, weird. But my husband over the years has learned how to talk me out of these moments, and is excellent at comforting my silly fears.

Good luck to everyone who is plagued with these terrifying moments. Don't forget that you aren't alone, and there are a lot of people who understand exactly how you feel!
OMG!!! This is me!!! I am so afraid of Vomiting etc. that I am deathly afraid to have children
I am afraid of having morning sickness and then as they grow up having to clean up after them... Bossinova, do you have children???

kittylea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When i first moved to the city i had them once a month. I have bad social anxieties which trigger them (one reason why you guys dont hear from me much). When i get an attack i end up underneath the bed or in a closet and even started hurting myself trying to get rid of all the emotions and pain. Used to see a counsilor in highschool but I then moved here. Good news is I havent had one ever since Sakura came into my life. Shes my new therapist.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't diagnose myself with agoraphobia. A doctor told me that it was what I had. I'm sure I also have panic disorder along with it. Yes, he said it was fear of open spaces, but he also said that it became a fear of the fear. In other wards a fear of the panic attacks, which leads to avoiding places and situations that bring them on.

My panic attacks usually start with hyperventilation (sp) to the point where I feel like I'm going to pass out. All I want to do is run from the fear and the panic feelings, and I will drive the long way on the surface streets rather than get on the freeway, because I had a major panic attack driving on the freeway once. I'm more fearful of open spaces, but I'm also fearful of being trapped in closed spaces as well, so I will avoid elevators if at all possible. I'm also fearful of taking a walk down the street, because the further I get from my secure place, the more my panic comes on, to the point where I get a full blown panic attack. I've learned to bring things along with me that give me comfort, and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

Anyway, the Doctor said what I had was agoraphobia. I remember thinking I was going crazy, but he told me I wasn't crazy but that I had a nuerosis and not a psychosis.

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... Thanks for sharing everyone. I am feeling better today. I think I had the attack last night because I took pain killers for my neck, and didn't take my antidepressants/antianxiety meds

I hope to hear from Bossinova regarding the vomit thing...

bossinova

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emb_78

OMG!!! This is me!!! I am so afraid of Vomiting etc. that I am deathly afraid to have children
I am afraid of having morning sickness and then as they grow up having to clean up after them... Bossinova, do you have children???
That is so crazy, because I am scared of the same things! I have a 7 year old stepson, and I dread the day that he gets a stomach virus (it's bound to happen, and since I'm home during the day, guess who will be home with him!!).

Oh, and let me add this to the madness....I am trying to get into Nursing school. Yes, I am volunteering (and very badly wanting!) to put myself right in the line of fire of vomiting people! I know, it sounds absolutely insane, but it is such a strong gut feeling for me, I honestly believe it is my calling. I have questioned it many times, especially when I worked in an ER and would get all worked up whenever I would hear people vomiting. But you cannot deny what has been chosen for you!

I was actually pregnant (amazing, since I'd been on the BC pill for over 5 years straight, not missing!) and didn't know it, and had a large amount of nausea starting about 11 am and lasting until I went to bed. It was awful. Let's just say that Pepto was my best friend!

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bossinova

That is so crazy, because I am scared of the same things! I have a 7 year old stepson, and I dread the day that he gets a stomach virus (it's bound to happen, and since I'm home during the day, guess who will be home with him!!).

Oh, and let me add this to the madness....I am trying to get into Nursing school. Yes, I am volunteering (and very badly wanting!) to put myself right in the line of fire of vomiting people! I know, it sounds absolutely insane, but it is such a strong gut feeling for me, I honestly believe it is my calling. I have questioned it many times, especially when I worked in an ER and would get all worked up whenever I would hear people vomiting. But you cannot deny what has been chosen for you!

I was actually pregnant (amazing, since I'd been on the BC pill for over 5 years straight, not missing!) and didn't know it, and had a large amount of nausea starting about 11 am and lasting until I went to bed. It was awful. Let's just say that Pepto was my best friend!
I wish I could get over this... I actually have DH and friends view movies before I see them so I know if there is vomiting in it. I have tried a therapist and that didn't help... I don't know what else I could do!!!

bossinova

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emb_78

I wish I could get over this... I actually have DH and friends view movies before I see them so I know if there is vomiting in it. I have tried a therapist and that didn't help... I don't know what else I could do!!!
When I was a teenager and this issue was at it's height, I was seeing a therapist for my panic disorder and he told me the best thing I could do was face my fear. Either watch it on TV or do it myself. Yeah, right!

I worked in that ER for 5 years. I did registration for a while, and would not register patients who were there for vomiting (my coworkers were so understanding!
) However, as a Unit Secretary, I was stationary, right in the middle of the place, and believe me, if the door is open, you hear everything. I can say that over that span of time, it did get a little bit better. But not a whole lot.

Now, this may sound nerdy or weird, but I actually did a search on Google for fear of vomiting, and there was a pretty cool site that I found (it's been a while, I can't remember what the name was) that had a message board and stuff. After reading through it, I realized that I was not completely abnormal, and that was a huge relief. Sure, everyone hates throwing up, but does anyone else have an intense fear of it like me? Now I know that other people do, too. And that makes me feel better about me.

However, dealing with and getting over the issue is a whole other can of worms. My husband tries to calm me when I get worked up by saying it will be alright, if something crazy happens and I do *you know*, he will clean up after me. He's so good to me; I know he doesn't understand it, but he tries to help.

I close my eyes and cover my ears if I can see someone is about to let loose on a show I'm watching. Yeah, I saw The Laws of Attraction in the movie theater...Don't know if you've seen that, but there is a scene in that flick. Ruined the rest of the movie for me.

Maybe we can help each other? I can't think of any ideas at this very moment, but as they come to me, I will let you know!

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well reading all the posts makes me wonder if I have something wrong. If I know I have to do a project or something important, I feel like I have to do it right away or I get really nervous thinking I wont get it done, sometimes loosing sleep or geting an upset stomach. I have a hard time sleeping, waking up 1-3 times during the night, and it sometimes takes 1-2 hours for me to fall asleep. while my family is asleep I am tossing and turning with a restless mind. Then got some other issues. I got my license 3 years ago, yet I do whatever possible to avoid driving. I hate it im so scared when I get in the car, that sometimes I loose concentration and sometimes pass red lights or am not careful when making a turn. Mostly its the turn thing not the red lights. Anyway I dislike ti so much when im drving im so nervouse my body tenses, I literally keep my neck in one position, and sit straight up, not ever relaxed. Sometimes I also hit the gas instead of the break, just because im nervous. On top of that im so afraid of people that i refuse to get a job and work. I get nervous and again get stomach aches or severe sweating and dry mouth. I get away from big crowds ASAP because I cant deal with them. I dont know what to do because my parents need me to work, and I need to drive to go to my new college in january. Oh yeah and the problem with the stray cats here is not making me any more calmer I get upset because so far i've gotten no help for them. It's like a never ending worry, im too young to be worrying so much, I want to enjoy life!

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel!!! But there are always people to talk to, whether it be family, friends, counsellor or people on this forum!!!

You are never alone, no matter how bad you feel!! And I find that talking about it with other people and finding that you are not the only one always helps!!!

If you are having trouble sleeping, I would recommend a hot chocolate before bed or get a soft towel and put some lavender essence on it - Lavender is great to relax the body and help you calm down - This will in turn help you to sleep. Also you could try reading until your eyes are so exhausted you have to go to sleep! I did this for many years.