Anyone staying up for Ike?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I think I'm WAY more succeptable to humidity than some. I can't get use to it. 4 years in Houston made that pretty clear, and the other couple years in Hot Springs. I ended up not going outside unless I had to.
if you think Houston's bad, try south Louisiana [where my mom's from & where most of her family still lives]. it's worse than Houston, humidity-wise!

thankfully, [for me & mine] Ike's bypassed where my family lives [unlike Rita, which hit me & mine much harder than Katrina did]. most of them live in the Lake Charles area. they'll get some major rain, but they're used to that.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I cannot believe your postings. They are so insensitive. First you say that you are glued to the TV and then you go on to talk about AK, Houston and all of TX, Odgen, UT You just bad-mouthed one or our largest states, a dixie state, and one of the best Mormon cities in UT? Can you offend anyone else? So, you live in AZ but your favorite place to live would be San Diego. Please don't come back because, if you do, we are sure to have an earthquake here after you rented because you couldn't buy.

I have never written anything like this before (so you mods can delete it if you think that I am over the top) but I just could not believe how you took a tragedy and turned it into your own soapbox about where you cannot stand to live.

I apologize to any TCS members I may have offended. mrblanche - I have never been to AK and I always wanted to go. Maybe someday.
I didn't find anything offensive in what Fastnoc posted. I have lived in 3 States in my life and some were better than others. People have their preferences on where they prefer to live and why they don't like some States or places they lived. Thats what makes people so interesting is these little bits of information you can share with each other.

We all are concerned for those who were in the Path of hurricane Ike and my thoughts and prayers go out to these people.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was a little puzzled by the post, too. Maybe someone needs to get a little more sleep?

I like Arkansas (abbreviated AR, by the way) just fine, fine enough to still have a house and land there. I've been to CA many times, and I don't have any use for it, but that's why not everyone lives in the same place!

I've never been anywhere that didn't have its good and bad points. I grew up in CO, but I'd never move back there unless I could find a job where I could stay indoors for long periods of time between Nov. 1 and April 1. I've seen all the -36 I ever need to see, and dug all the calves out of snowbanks that I ever need to.

If I had my choice, and could figure out a way to make a living there, I'd already be in Hawaii. But so would about 60,000,000 other Americans, so it's a good thing that hasn't happened.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I was a little puzzled by the post, too. Maybe someone needs to get a little more sleep?

I like Arkansas (abbreviated AR, by the way) just fine, fine enough to still have a house and land there. I've been to CA many times, and I don't have any use for it, but that's why not everyone lives in the same place!

I've never been anywhere that didn't have its good and bad points. I grew up in CO, but I'd never move back there unless I could find a job where I could stay indoors for long periods of time between Nov. 1 and April 1. I've seen all the -36 I ever need to see, and dug all the calves out of snowbanks that I ever need to.

If I had my choice, and could figure out a way to make a living there, I'd already be in Hawaii. But so would about 60,000,000 other Americans, so it's a good thing that hasn't happened.
Colorado was the State I spent 26 years in. I loved it when I first moved there in 1978. It has become over crowded in the Denver area and the pollution is bad. I chose to leave and live in rural Nebraska with a menial job and no traffic jams.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As Ike was coming into Galveston, the massive low pressure from the hurricane crunched a lot of fronts way north of it. They converged in the midwest, and created 12 tornados in my area last night. I was sitting at my office at 5PM yesterday when they got on the PA and told everyone to get into the stairwell immediately from a tornado. An hour later I looked at a weather map and chanced the drive home. On that drive home they were announcing another tornado just north of where I live.

So needless to say, our satelite was out and while I wanted to track the storm, I only had local channels, which were talking about the 12 tornados and the flooding throughout the area.

Ike's rains will be hitting us early tomorrow morning. Our yard is already a wet sponge from the 5 inches we got yesterday. We're on a hill so we won't be flooded, but there are a lot of low laying areas in the path of Ike that will flood across the entire midwest.

Keep tracking the storm and send vibes to everyone affected: from Galveston thru its eventual demise in Canada.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
mom just forwarded me an email from my louisiana relatives...
Well, we made it through another one with no serious damages. It is still very breezy here, with gusts probably still around 35 mph. It was VERY windy and rainy all night and most of the morning. But all I can see around here is small tree branches and leaves and some siding off the garage. And the best part is (knock on wood), we haven't lost power!

I talked to Brian in Northwest Houston, and they are all ok also - no damage or flooding - but they are without power. They are predicting weeks before all of Houston gets power back on. Hope all is well with David and Mike.