Anyone saw this pet food test result?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed a home-made diet because I believe there is 'something' about commercial processed foods that makes them sub-optimal for the long term health of my cats. I would very much like to know what that 'something' is but I don't believe for an instant I'm going to learn what it is from Thixton.

My feelings on this are rather simple. I don't think there's necessarily anything to find. Yes, ingredients in much commercial pet food are of lower quality than human food, and though I haven't actually compared, I suspect that tolerances for contamination with various things may be of a wider range in pet foods than in human foods. But humans living on a low quality highly processed diet and never, ever eat any fresh food would be likely to not be as healthy as people eating high quality, fresh homecooked foods and/or fresh fruit and salad. For example.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We are starting to get a little personal here. :paranoid: It may be best to take it to Pm's. :dash:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I feed a home-made diet because I believe there is 'something' about commercial processed foods that makes them sub-optimal for the long term health of my cats. I would very much like to know what that 'something' is but I don't believe for an instant I'm going to learn what it is from Thixton.
My feelings on this are rather simple. I don't think there's necessarily anything to find. Yes, ingredients in much commercial pet food are of lower quality than human food, and though I haven't actually compared, I suspect that tolerances for contamination with various things may be of a wider range in pet foods than in human foods. But humans living on a low quality highly processed diet and never, ever eat any fresh food would be likely to not be as healthy as people eating high quality, fresh homecooked foods and/or fresh fruit and salad. For example.
In this we agree. I've felt for a long time that the main benefit our pets get from a home-made diet, whether cooked or raw, is simply that they are made from fresh, minimally processed ingredients. Although I would say that in itself would be 'something to find'. 

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thixton is biased against the pet food industry.  Now there`s a revelation.   I applaud her efforts to fight for truth in labeling and to pressure them into being responsible corporate citizens on their own.  If they continue to act irresponsibly then they should understand that increased government regulation is coming their way.    We do not need any more melamine poisoning disasters before we decide to increase public scrutiny of what really is going into the food.   We need more activists like Ms. Thixton so that corporations and government understand the public is tired of being treated like sheep and we will not continue to roll over.  

If the report is bogus then why did the pet food industry act to have it suppressed?   It obviously hit a nerve.   If they can disprove it then let them.    Using strong-arm tactics through their armies of lawyers only goes to show that they do not want the truth to see the light of day.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Laurie!!

What do you think about my using turkey, should I worry about rotating meats occasionally for nutritional value or will the U-stew make the turkey complete using this long term?
Specific cuts of turkey? No skin I think?
Will I still need to add liver?

I have seriously been wanting to do this but when I tried to see answers about her being allergic to chicken I got lost with it all. You know me, I got old, I get overwhelmed! I just laughed out loud, why I couldn't tell ya, it's SO not funny! 

Edit, okay I went to the U-stew site, perfect, I'm diving in :) That's it? Meat and U-stew huh? Yay! I can do this!
No bones needed, omegas, liver, egg shells, nothing?
So unsure about whether I can rotate her meats or just stick with the one for a few months. Hate to get her all messed up again, not that she is all better either.
I also imagine common sense regarding transitioning too. Slow.
Thanks again!
It's probably best to start a new thread in the Raw and Home cooked Forum, and you'll get plenty of help and guidance. :)

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One more point and then I`ll get off the soapbox.

When Ralph Nader took on the auto industry in the mid-60s he was also derided and had to defend against legal attacks from the industry.   For you kids who do not remember who Nader was before he ran for President, he wrote an expose on auto safety called `Unsafe At Any Speed`.   Because of this one concerned citizen, the cars you now drive all have seat belts by law - that was not the case in 1965.

I for one, want to know specifically what the term `by-products` allows for.   I have seen many cat experts proclaim this is actually healthy for cats (including the esteemed Dr Pierson I believe).    To me `by-product` implies that an ingredient is what is left over from food processing - not the animal itself.   So when the factory worker mops the floor of entrails with Ajax or whatever cleaner they use, that soapy slush is a by-product of the food processing.   How do I know that bucket of slush is then not being poured into the vat of pet food and listed on the label as a `by-product`.    

Look at the detailed nutritional breakdown list of foods that was painstakingly put together originally by Dr. Pierson on catinfo.org.   There were some companies whom she contacted who flat out refused giving her this simple but important information about their products.

Other than Thixton and Anne Jablonski, we as pet owners have no one advocating for the food safety of our pets.   I believe one day we will look back and thank these passionate people for improving the current state of affairs.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How do I know that bucket of slush is then not being poured into the vat of pet food and listed on the label as a `by-product`.    
Because the food meets at least minimum protein, vitamin, and mineral levels. It can't be labeled "balanced and complete" otherwise.

And no, by-products doesn't mean just any old waste on the floor. This is the actual AAFCO definition:

"Meat By-Products – is the non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low temperature fatty tissue, & stomachs & intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth & hoofs. It shall be suitable for use in animal food."

Slaughtered means NOT road kill or 4D animals.

Look at the detailed nutritional breakdown list of foods that was painstakingly put together originally by Dr. Pierson on catinfo.org.   There were some companies whom she contacted who flat out refused giving her this simple but important information about their products.
Yes: Blue Buffalo, By Nature, and Stella & Chewy's. All companies with reputation for quality products. What's your point?

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I`m sure the food with melamine added in that killed hundreds of pets met minimum protein, vitamin, and mineral levels and had the AAFCO `balanced and complete` certification prominently displayed on the label.  
 And no, by-products doesn't mean just any old waste on the floor. This is the actual AAFCO definition:

"Meat By-Products – is the non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low temperature fatty tissue, & stomachs & intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth & hoofs. It shall be suitable for use in animal food."

Slaughtered means NOT road kill or 4D animals.
And what entity is responsible for monitoring this?   Without inspection or testing we must blindly trust these companies.    The last industry  we blindly trusted was mortgage banking.   That went fine too until the 2008 disaster. 
 Yes: Blue Buffalo, By Nature, and Stella & Chewy's. All companies with reputation for quality products. What's your point?
Reputation for quality?  By whom - their ad firms?   Blue Buffalo is perhaps the biggest offender.  It is purely a marketing firm (HQ about 10 miles down the road from me) that outsources all of its food production to third-party firms.   They have no quality control whatsoever.   In fact their cover was blown when Purina (who is suing them for false claims) tested their food and it was found to contain 1/4 poultry byproduct meal when Blue Buffalo heavily promotes the claim that  they never use by-products.  

My point is these companies have grown their market share based on lies and deception.   If you don`t believe that I have a bridge to sell you.