Anyone own a pet store?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madaboutrags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are many reasons why a restraunt isn't a good idea. The biggest one being that there is one on every corner. I'm not passionate about it. It isn't something that has always intrigued me or that I've really wanted to do. The point of this is to start doing some of the things I've wanted to do all of my life. Otherwise I would just stay in my very profitable computer business. But I'm bored with it, and I would become bored with a restraunt too. Animals are a part of me, something I've always been about. I have plenty of time do whatever I need or want to do. The whole kitten thing that was just an idea I was bouncing around... not really part of the plan. There will be no animals sold there.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MadAboutRags

Yeah that's one of the things I'm concerned about. I've seen a lot of pet stores come and go over the years. My shop will be on my own land so I'll still have a mortgage... but only one... which I would have anyway. I also own an internet company which keeps me pretty busy. It is the kind of thing I can do while working in the store and for the most part at my own pace though. One of the benefits of being self employed. My BF is a very well known carpenter here and is out of his mind busy all year round. It's like he said... I love animals and even if it just turns into more of a hobby pets and their owners will still benefit as will I
I don't expect to get rich on this venture but maybe find a niche where I feel like I'm doing something positive...

Does that petstore have a website?If you can find someone you trust and who knows the search engine submission process and can work keywords... a website can make all the difference. A couple years ago my bf and I were in a military supply store here in town. The guy was a friend of Dougs. They got talking and he told us he was going to file bankruptcy. Doug convinced him to hold on just for a few more months and see what the internet could do for him. Let's just say he never filed bankruptcy and not only still has that store but has since opened 2 more. The internet is a tricky thing but if a person knows the ins and outs it can be their biggest asset
The Barking Cat does have a website, but the owner isn't interested in E-commerce at this time. He wants to keep it very small and local - he even offers free home delivery.

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Selling GOOD food and supplies for animals is a good thing, selling ANIMALS is a bad thing. My two cents

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

The Barking Cat does have a website, but the owner isn't interested in E-commerce at this time. He wants to keep it very small and local - he even offers free home delivery.
BTW, I just love that name!!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

BTW, I just love that name!!!
He even went and got a custom made stuffed cat (from the place where you make your own stuffed bear) and had a "voice-box" put in it, so when people ask, where is the "barking cat," he simply squeezes the cat in a certain spot, and it starts barking like a dog!

(He sells both dog and cat supplies, by the way...)