Anyone out there with IBS?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Have good old food allergies and intolernce s been ruled out??? I vomit if I eat something I am allergic too
That we did do. He's not allergic to anything.

I'm going to check out the various links. We were hoping to find suggestions for "tricks" to get his system to reset. Because he's done the fasting routine, and even just water for two days kept him running....

Laurie

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you can find what works for you soon. I know it's very frustrating, and usually takes quite a while to figure everything out.
I kept a food journal for over a year, then analysed it to draw connections.
Also the stress conection can't be overstated. It's amazing what stress does to the body. Once you learn to recognize the signs and react it's just amazing what a difference it can make to your life!
You have to keep trying to find the answers, don't get disheartened when things don't immediately change. It can really take a while!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Unfortunately, yogurt is out of the question.
I eat it - but he just can't deal with it in any way, shape or form.

He's had gastro problems since we've been together. Ulcers, GERD. He's been on Protonix for years. He's had surgery. But this? He was throwing up and had constant diarrhea when we went back to the gastro docs. He got tested for everything again. Hasn't done the stomach or bladder emptying studies though -didn't even know those existed.

The issue with him is diarrhea, and it has been since August, really. No constipation problems at all. No relief. No break. And even with the tincture of opium, he's still in the bathroom up to 20+ times a day. A good day is when he just has to go like 8 or 10 times.

Everything seems to be a trigger. He even fasted for 2 days. So I guess water is a trigger! Or his system just won't "reset." And as to the vomiting -the doc said that basically the gastro system is "one smooth muscle." And depending upon where the food is when his system spams, it either comes out as vomit or diarrhea.

It doesn't matter what he eats (so far). Within a few minutes he's in the bathroom. What we can't figure is why he's not losing any weight.

Anyway, the search goes on.....

Laurie
I'm exactly the same way as your husband- nothing helps my ibs with diarreah except my diet. also- please bring up the Gastric Emptying Study with his GI doctor- that is the only test that really helped my doctors have a grasp at the magnitude of my issues. One suggestion- go to Walgreens or your local store and buy a can of FiberSure (in the green bottle) put it in everything you cook! It will harden up his stools when he has diarreah and loosen them if he gets constipated- it is a wonderful metiator so to speak. It helps. I also vomit extremly bad as a result of my GERD (so much so it's caused a hiatial hernia.) they had me trying nexium, prevacid, mylanta, tums,zantac, and quite a few other things- the ONLY thing that has ever helped me is Zegarid- and one single does is not enough -i have to take a double dose- one in the morning and one at night. They will not do surgery on me for my GERD symptoms because it will make my IBS and gastroparesis worse- i'm wondering if the surgery they did on your hubby for his gerd symptoms has made his IBS worse? It's something to ask his doctor about for sure. I also tried the fasting thing - didn't work, i still got sick- and was not only sick but miserable because i was starving. My biggest suggestion is for him to talk to his doc about a Gastric Emptying study, keep a food journal- identify and eliminate trigger foods (it takes a while for them to completly get out of his system- which is why he can go even a day or two and still get sick- if he has gastroparesis it will show up on the gastric emptying study- the thing with Gastroparesis- is it's a delayed emptying of the stomach- which you'd think he wouldn't have since he's going to the bathroom all the time- but what happens with me (i have it) is that I will eat- and it will stay in my system (causing bloating and cramps) then all at once- my stomach will have spazms and it will empty everthing at once....hence the "dumping syndrome" or diarreah. So everytime you eat- the symptoms happen over and over again when you eat "trigger foods" So he's really got to be patient and keep a food journal- he's got to identify what sets him off (and for me-sometimes it seems like EVERYTHING does for me
- but make him stick with it- once his stomach finally settles down- he will begin to identify what he can/can't have.) Also- you mention he had allergy tests done already- but did they test for certain allergies that are food related? They normally do not for standard tests. You have to request additional ones- particurally for Gluetin (wheat and things of that nature- it's in virtually EVERYTHING! They'd do a celiac blood test on him to rule out celiac disease which is a gluetin allergy- they did it to me and it took only a few minutes for them to draw the blood.- i was negative by the way- but had tried the celiac diet- it was AWEFUL- but i will say- if he has it- Wild Oats- identifies ALL of their gluetin free products and many can also be found at your local grocery store- there are ways to cope if he has it- and i have lots of recipes too if he needs it from when i tried the celiac diet) / Also- have Yeast ruled out- there is a book called "The Yeast Factor" and there is an online group i believe it's called "the tuesday morning club" - or something to that effect- try googling it- they have TONS of insight into Yeast allergies- which, once again yeast is in tons of things- so it could very well be a yeast or other food allergy- so please make sure he's been tested for those. I am having another round of allergy tests in march (specifically yeast and other foods) to see what all is going on with me. I'm sorry this is happening to your hubby.
But please let him know he's not alone and there are other people out there just like him who are going through the same thing- it might make him feel a bit better
pm me if you wanna talk more about this. Also- if he's having IBS with diarreah- do not touch protonix as one of the side effects of that drug is diarreah in and of its self- it could make him much worse. / For now thoguh- definitely make him start a food journal and add Fiber Sure to everything you cook (it's odorless, and tasteless- he'll never be able to tell
)

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
has he been tested for gallstones? My symptoms didnt line up but low and behold, I had gallstones. They thought I had an ulcer which i know you said he had but it could be hiding and the symptoms attributed to the ulcers.

You just never know but whatever it is, i hope he can at least get it under control soon!!

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had it for years and i take Peppermint pills which help with
the cramps and i also take 3 chewable Papaya pills which help
with digestion...I'm also on Zelnorm..all of them really do help