Anyone like German food?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I've heard Flaedlesuppe, but not something our family makes or ever heard them mention. I'm not sure where that might be served. I actually think it's a southern German thing, meaning Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg.You are correct about the frosting. Frosting over here is way too sweet and full of sugar. I can't really eat much of it.
The bakeries are always full of different pasteries and cakes. Their whipped cream is very light, and can you hardly taste any sugar. They also use a lot of different fruit in their cake or even poppyseed in "Mohnkuchen" which is poppy seed cake and one of my favorites!
Oh, wow, Mohnkuchen. That's one dessert I have a weakness for.
In addition to types of pancakes, I just recalled a few dishes that our family does make. There are two types that I know of, but I'm sure there many others out there. The first one is Eierpfannkuchen. Basically it is an egg pancake. Just take about 5-6 eggs mix them together like you would an omelette and fry it on both sides. We add sliced ham into it chopped up into squares. We normally eat this on german bread with butter.
Another one is called Bauernfruehstueck. Which means farmer's breakfast. It's very similar to the egg pancake. The only addition is adding sliced cooked potatoes to it and frying on both sides. Served the same way as the other one above.
Kartoffelpuffer are what I am used to eating. A lot of the times we just get the Panni pack and make them that way.You can get Pfanni there?
In the stores over here, there is a company that makes a boxed cake mix called german chocolate cake which comes with the coconut frosting and this is what many people think is german chocolate cake, but it's not.German chocolate cake, as advertised in the U.S., seems to be unknown here. Other than Black Forest Cake/Donau Welle (Danube wave, which says nothing), the closest I can come up with is "Sachertorte", which is Austrian.
My message is apparently too short to post, since I've added comments to your quoted post.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvslive

great discussion. I am a "German from Russia" and have eaten all kinds of great German-Russian cuisine. My family lives in the "Sauerkraut Capital of the World", my hometown Wishek, North Dakota. Once a year, in October, people come from far and wide to eat sauerkraut and wieners..go figure!
I also enjoy:
Kuchen - custard like pie that can be filled with prunes, cream cheese, etc
Pan-Kuchen - kinda like frybread..
dumplings - nice and fluffy, best served with creamed chicken
streudels - I like these slightly fluffy with gravy
halva - is this a german thing? has anyone else had this? it's a small brick of something tasty and sweet..
knephla soup
Some weird food items that I do not like and may or may not be German in origin are: tiger meat (raw meat with STRONG spices), and blood sausage.
I am trying to remember the name of a hamburger dish where the hamburger is wrapped up in fried dough..I will post if I remember..
Kuchen in German means Cake, so i really dont know which one youre reffering to!!
Stuedels with gravy? over here they mostly have apfel struedels with ice cream!
what a horrible image in my head of apple strudels with gravy on top!
Met Broetchen (raw meat with spices) Is only nice if made correctly by butchers. To be honest I would never eat it in another country unless it was made by a real german

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

My message is apparently too short to post, since I've added comments to your quoted post.
I've had that happen before! Yes, Pfanni...I obviously couldn't spell that day either.
We have it available in our local grocery store and can find it at the Commissary (U.S. army base version of grocery store).
We are very fortunate to have a German Deli here in North Texas and I stumbled upon it by accident searching for german food online. It's www.germandeli.com. I sure miss the bakeries though. I love Mohnkuchen and Schwarzwaelderkuchen. The real one!
My uncle is a baker so he can do it all and made me one the first time I went back to visit in 8 years.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I liked a lot of the snitzels(sp). There was one I really liked that was covered with a thin sauce that had a lot of mushrooms in it. I think the translation for that one was hunter's snitzel. There was a truck that came through our neighborhood every morning with fresh bread and pastries. I really liked the hard crusty rolls with real butter. That and coffee seemed to be the breakfast that a lot of Germans ate on weekday mornings.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

I liked a lot of the snitzels(sp). There was one I really liked that was covered with a thin sauce that had a lot of mushrooms in it. I think the translation for that one was hunter's snitzel. There was a truck that came through our neighborhood every morning with fresh bread and pastries. I really liked the hard crusty rolls with real butter. That and coffee seemed to be the breakfast that a lot of Germans ate on weekday mornings.
It's called Jaegerschnitzel and that's also one of my favorites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's called Jaegerschnitzel and that's also one of my favorites.
The one I had was pork cutlets, and had apple and onion on top with melted cheese. Any idea what its called? I'd like to look up a recipe but can't remember!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

I've had that happen before! Yes, Pfanni...I obviously couldn't spell that day either.
We have it available in our local grocery store and can find it at the Commissary (U.S. army base version of grocery store).
We are very fortunate to have a German Deli here in North Texas and I stumbled upon it by accident searching for german food online. It's www.germandeli.com. I sure miss the bakeries though. I love Mohnkuchen and Schwarzwaelderkuchen. The real one!
My uncle is a baker so he can do it all and made me one the first time I went back to visit in 8 years.
I was really lucky when we were living in Philadelphia. Just a few blocks away there was a real "Conditorei", with a "Bäckermeister" from Baden-Württemberg, so we could always get terrific bread and cakes. I went to school with his daughters, and after moving here, I met his family (siblings) quite by accident in a restaurant. Small world, isn't it?

My parents and brother always practically lived on bread and rolls when they visited us here. My mom, who doesn't speak any German, actually made several trips to the local bakeries herself. When I asked her how she managed, she said, "I just point, and say 'sex'!" (Note to those who don't speak German: "sechs" = six.) She still raves about the "pretzel rolls" (Laugenbrötchen).

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is an amazing resturant in my hometown called "Maximillians" it is all german food, they are famous for their "Schnitzel" and sauercraut (sp?) it is very rich food but SSSSOOOO good!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was really lucky when we were living in Philadelphia. Just a few blocks away there was a real "Conditorei", with a "Bäckermeister" from Baden-Württemberg, so we could always get terrific bread and cakes. I went to school with his daughters, and after moving here, I met his family (siblings) quite by accident in a restaurant. Small world, isn't it?

My parents and brother always practically lived on bread and rolls when they visited us here. My mom, who doesn't speak any German, actually made several trips to the local bakeries herself. When I asked her how she managed, she said, "I just point, and say 'sex'!" (Note to those who don't speak German: "sechs" = six.) She still raves about the "pretzel rolls" (Laugenbrötchen).
too funny but so true!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh my, that is too funny!
My high school german teacher never said sechs, because it sounds just like sex, and I would alway correct her on pronunciations.

You were so lucky!! Having such wonderful bakeries and restaurants. We have a bakery nearby and he's moved over here from Germany and the bread I like, but the cakes are not taking right and no Mohnkuchen.

There are not really any good german restaurants close by. There is one about an hour and a half away that I just adore. It is truly authentic german in every way to include the restaurant itself. It is looking like a "german house", the tables, doors, even the toilet is german and I think it was all imported!
They owners are very nice and moved over here quite a while back from Germany. When we have a birding trip around that area I always go.

I'd post the picture of it if I could, but since my computer crashed last year, I lost alot, but will post it if I can find it on a cd somewhere.