Anyone know what these (human) symptoms mean?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yeah, here I am again, asking for medical advice--but not for me!

My best friend just called. Her mom is in Florida (we're in PA), and she is in her late 80's. My friend's dad just called her regarding her mother's health problems, and we both would like to know what could be wrong with her. She couldn't get a straight answer from her dad.  I can't find anything on the Net, so I'm asking anyone here what they think:

1. She does have a goiter.

2.  She can't speak,  & having trouble swallowing and holding her head up. I think my friend said she had vomited up blood (which is NEVER a good thing).

I'm wondering if she could have cancer of the esophagus?

Any ideas? Thank you.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Goiter is usually indicative of a thyroid problem.  Since the thyroid sits on each side of the esophagus like a butterfly, it could be pushing on the trachea and even grown into the trachea.  She needs to get to the doctor sooner rather than later!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Sorry! I thought I had said this in my original post, but I didn't : She did actually see a doctor, but, the father doesn't seem to know what the doctor thinks the problem is, or won't tell my friend, so as not to upset her (remember, she lives very far away).  My friend also told me that "the doctor says it's more than her goiter", but she said she doesn't know what he meant by that statement.  Her dad is 90, so maybe the doctor DID tell him, but maybe he's forgetful (?).  I don't know why my friend, who is a reference librarian, and has a pc at home, doesn't do some research! She always does things like this, despite that--I'm the one who delves into things for her.

I'm thinking it's the goiter pressing on something, but still am concerned about her.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My advice is for her to go to Florida and be with her Mom and Dad when her Mom sees the doctor. That way she can ask questions.

Sounds like Thyroid cancer to me, but I'm not a doctor.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My friend's mom has inoperable thyroid cancer. She has 3-4 months to live. So very sad.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That's awful. I hope she gets to spend some quality time with her mother.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
No, I haven't heard anything lately (I've been on a mini-vacation, and I tend to see my friend at work. I did see her on Saturday, though, and she didn't say anything had changed). As far as I know, she's leaving in early January (unless an emergency happens before then) to see her Mom. She told me that it's hard to get airline tickets for 2 people to Florida this time of year.

I'll let you know if there's any news. Thank you for asking! That was so sweet of you!