Anyone know what breed my cat is?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is very striking,  very cute markings.   She's probably no specific breed. so she would just be called "Domestic Longhair". (  Well,  it's barely longhair,   really borderline.  but the tail looks fluffy enough that I think she may be classified as longhair.  some people would call it  Medium Hair. but    there is not some separate gene for medium hair.   but there is a great variety in how long the hair is in a cat who is genetically a longhair.)

Cats are not like dogs that are usually a breed or mix of breeds.  There has been a lot more human control over dogs' breeding,   so that about half of dogs are purebreds,  and the "mutts",  would have dogs of specific breeds in their ancestry. 

But with cats,  it is very different.   The vast majority of cats have just bred randomly on their own and their ancestry is a mix of the other cats in their area of the world...  most of them would have few or no pedigreed ancestors.   (  It does get a bit more complicated, though, because there's a little difference in cats in different parts of the world.   and in some places,  there are cats considered sort of "natural breeds".  It is these that many of the cat breeds started from.)

Her color/ pattern is Torbie and White.  Torbie    = Tortoiseshell Tabby  --  cats with tortoiseshell coloring  ( a combination of both black-based pigment and red-based pigment)  AND a tabby pattern that shows up in both kinds of pigment)  

She has an arrangement of white & color that is called a "harlequin" pattern.     She has a high grade of White Spotting and probably has 2 copies of the White Spotting gene.   so it's likely that both her parents had some white on thm. 

The harlequin pattern is like a 'van pattern'  ( white with color on the head and tail)  but with some extra patches of color.  The  van pattern is named after the Turkish Van,   but it doesn't mean every cat with that or a similar pattern is that breed,  because the pattern is seen in cats all over the world.  

She has some resemblance to a Turkish Van.  but unless you are in Turkey or a nearby country  it is unlikely she is really that breed. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crisco154

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks you for the information, I'm not quite fond of identifying breeds other than the regular domestic. I'll keep this in mind.