Anyone know how to stop terrible back pain without pills

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had that before and throw up when it happens.
That pain is the worse pain when it happens.
I plan on going to the Dr again soon.
I do have big breasts and they do cause back pain also.
I had back pain before they were big though.
I also have fibro.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
find a really good massage therapist. My mum has recently qualified and I'm so grateful for the fact that she has, because she's helped me no end with my back pain. It can only be worth a try at least eh, hun?
Hope you feel better soon

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

For spondylolisthesis?! Maybe it wouldn't seriously mess up someone with low-grade, but high-grade could be scary. Hopefully no chiro would be stupid enough to touch a spine with that.

As I keep saying, there are many different things that can go wrong in one's back. Some of them make the spine a lot more fragile. Advocate it all you want, but not everyone is going to have the same back problems you do and respond to it positively as you did.
Chiropractic care is a proven treatment for that condition.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/spondyl...dition-center/

http://www.spine-health.com/conditio...ctor-viewpoint

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...02/ai_n9381983

http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=50490

As with all doctors, MD or DC. before any treatment is done the person is assessed: complete with back xrays for anything back related. And as always, if a doctor of any kind wants to start any kind of treatment on you without talking to you and assessing you first, then you really need to find another doctor.

I am completely adverse to scaring people away from a treatment that may help them. I prefer to tell people to explore their options and go and get an assessment done and hear what the doctor has to say about their specific case because as you know, not all cases are the same, neither are all treatments right for everyone. But IMHO it's best to leave that up to the doctor and the person seeking the treatment.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
No suggestions short term, but over the long term pilates or yoga can really help - just make sure the instructor is used to clients with back problems so they can modify the movements.

My DH has Spina Bifida (Occulta, thank goodness) but has an awful time with his back and has found pilates to be wonderful for it.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

My back hurts real bad again and I do not want to use meds from the dr.
With all my pains and ills, the one thing I no longer have is back pain. I have had numerous epidural steroid injections, an electric stimulator implanted, bottles and bottles of opiates and morphine, chiropractic and acupuncture. NOTHING. Until I spent the money (they are not cheap) to buy one of those massage chairs and by golly, they work. I got mine for $2000 USD, which is one of the cheaper ones around because it does not do arms (but it does calves), but it is completely programmable and I use it for 15 minutes before bedtime and 5 minutes upon arising. The chair is guaranteed not for any certain length of time but has a clock in it (which you cannot see but I keep track) but for 1000 hours of use. So at twenty minutes a day, that would give me 3000 days or 8 years. So the 2000 dollars now becomes only 250 a year. I have never been more happy with a product (Panasonic).

ihatespngbob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had back surgery at L5-S1 for a herniated disc. I have a rod, cage, screws, and bone graft. The surgery worked good for 5 years, but is failed now. I have nerve impingement, herniated/bulging disc at L4-L5, failed surgery, degenerative disc disease, and lumbar radiculopathy. The only thing that helps my back is strong medications. I hate taking medications too. I also take a strong muscle relaxer. If you are just suffering with a sprain or strain I would say a nice hot bath and a back rub along with rest will help. If you are suffering from major problems, nothing will help besides medication or surgery (surgery fails a lot though).

BTW I am 28 years old. I have had back problems since the birth of my daughter in 2000 and the epidural combined with childbirth is what screwed my back up.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone.
That chair sounds good.
I tried one at the store and it felt good.
I have had back problems since I was around 15 I think.
I have had strong meds but they didnt have.
I get terrible periods and the back pain med helped period pain but it made me so dizzy I quit taking it.
Vicadin was terrible.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
First, go to the doctor to see what is causing it. If it is sciatica (does the side of your leg or both legs) hurt very badly, radiating from your lower back? That is sciatica. They usually prescribe exercises (which hurt me when I did them, so I stopped). I use yoga, which I find is the only thing that helps! Try the downward dog, cat, bridge, and serpent poses (I find that the serpent and bridge poses help me the most). Yoga is great, since it is quite safe for most people, and low-impact. Keep doing it every day (15 minutes is good) to help strengthen your back muscles. (I am very bad with this, and tend only to do it when my sciatica kicks up.)

I also use those pain patches; WalMart makes a cheaper brand, Equate, which work very well. You will get about 8 hours of relief from the patches.

I literally feel your pain--I have have a bad back since I was about 9 years old. I hope you get relief SOON.