anyone know anything about High Blood Presure in Cats

cmoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont know what the answer is for the urinary and kidney problems. My other cat Toby had the cystitus and was on the urinary food. Perhaps there is a food that will deal with both. If not, maybe doing half and half will help, Dillon only ate the kidney food half of the time, maybe trying to balance the diet to help both problems will help. I was supposed to give Dillon another tablet along with the bp tablet, one to help his kidneys. I knew I would never get both down him in a day without stressing him out. Plus I had read that the other tablet could send the creatine up before it came down, I decided against it. I think you have to balance it out in your mind and the cat being happy and not stressed. As long as the worst symptoms are controlled for coco and he is happy, that is the main thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
I doubt she will like the Kidney food my Stripe hated it.
Coco hates the C/D now.
We have Royal Canin Urinary and Purina Urinary.
So far she likes the Purina the best.
My Stripe only lived a year with Crf and was 11 when she was pts.
She was in a coma at the end.

cmoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dillon wouldnt have any of it, he was always a very fussy eater anyway. But he loved the Whiskas chicken renal pouches, he never got fed up with them.
I was lucky with that, but he would pick sometimes and some days at more tit bits that the kidney food, he went on like this for 8 years after he was diagnosed, I never stuck rigidly to anything. It was more important to me that he ate something, anything! If I tried to make him eat something he didnt like, he starved and he was already thin. He loved fish from the chip shop, (with the batter) and chicken.
He was only on the blood pressure tablet which I made sure he got every day the last two years.

I am sorry about stripe, it is heartbreaking. Toby and Dillon were friends all their lives, Toby was 15 when I lost him to FIP. He had always been the strong fat fluffy cat! Dillon was the sickly birman. He was always honking up even when he was small. Always the naughty one, but with a willpower of iron, I think thats what kept him going!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you lost your cats.
I lost two in the last year.
I lost stormy Dec 5th because her Kidneys were gone.
She would throw up once in a while and drool sometimes.
I thought it was Coco throwing up most of the time but it wasnt.
Stormy was only 5 and was Cocos girl.
Coco could not be fixed and had kittens at age 10 and I kept Stormy.
I never expected to lose her so young.
After I loss Stormy Meeko became very depressed and would just lay there and do nothing.
I took her to the vet and she had blood tests which were normal.
The Vet said it was depression.
A week before I lost Stromy Coco got sick with her bladder problems.
After that Yoshi started getting worse.
Coco had a urine test Jan 11th to see if the infection was gone and I asked if we could bring Yoshi because he was not eating or anything.
He had to be pts that day.
We were told in May 2007 that Yoshi had 6 months to 2 years to live.
He only lasted 8 months.
Yoshi had kidney stones that could not be removed and they think fip.
The test was pos but it was never proven.
After he was pts Meeko got sick and had a 105 fever.
She would not eat or anything.
After that Coco got a cold.
Meeko is 8 and is fine now.
I got Oreo Cookie about 2 weeks before Stormy died and they are all friends now.
Sorry this is long.

cmoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And there it is, the stress and the sadness we go through with our beloved cats, but the joy and the laughter they bring into our lives, nothing compares with. I lost Dillon end of February, he was my companion for 20 years. We have had a cat for the last 35 years and this is the first time without one. I miss having one but just feel I cant go through any more stress and heartache at the moment. The last 2 years of Dillons life could fill a book.
Sending good wishes and good vibes for Coco. (I am borrowing next doors cat Polly for a cuddle every day at the moment!)

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your cat also.
I got my first cat over 30 years ago and he died from male blockage at age 1.
I was a kid then and my parents said we will go to the vet tomorrow.
We did not know he would be dead by then.
Coco threw up last night.
It was water.
I am so scared of the blood presure med because of what others said.
The meds should be in today.