Anyone know a rescue group that will take FIV positive kittens?

flakeytron

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been fostering 3 kittens since they were 3 weeks old, they are now 14-15 weeks old. They were negative for feline leuk. and got their first set of shots. When I took them in for their 2nd set of shots and to be spayed one tested positive for FIV and the humane society said they could not spay them as a result, even the negative ones. So, I now don't know what to do. I can't keep them. Does anyone know any resuce groups that could help me find a home for an FIV kitten? I am in South Florida but am willing to travel out of state even. Thanks for your help. I am so worried.

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Flakeytron

I have been fostering 3 kittens since they were 3 weeks old, they are now 14-15 weeks old. They were negative for feline leuk. and got their first set of shots. When I took them in for their 2nd set of shots and to be spayed one tested positive for FIV and the humane society said they could not spay them as a result, even the negative ones. So, I now don't know what to do. I can't keep them. Does anyone know any resuce groups that could help me find a home for an FIV kitten? I am in South Florida but am willing to travel out of state even. Thanks for your help. I am so worried.
The rescues here take them
I would suggest calling around!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Here is a good story to share with potential adoptors:

http://www.theanimalspirit.com/ginger.html

You may also want to contact the Best Friends Network:

Contact the Best Friends Network: (435) 644-2001 ext 123, or e-mail them at [email protected]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flakeytron

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the help thus far! I will be posting their picture on the bemikitties website and keeping my fingers crossed. Every place I've called locally (I'm in South Florida) says they won't take them. I'd be willing to drive them to a shelter out of state if need be. Thank you for your help and any other information would be greatly appreciated as well!

They are so sweet and you would never know they had FIV, I have read so much that says these animals can go on to live long lives. I just need to find the right person or place!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you all for the help thus far! I will be posting their picture on the bemikitties website and keeping my fingers crossed. Every place I've called locally (I'm in South Florida) says they won't take them. I'd be willing to drive them to a shelter out of state if need be. Thank you for your help and any other information would be greatly appreciated as well!

They are so sweet and you would never know they had FIV, I have read so much that says these animals can go on to live long lives. I just need to find the right person or place!
I really wish I was closer and could help you with this. We have a group here in Cincinnati that is often willing to take in FIV+ kittens/cats. Good luck and please keep us posted!

flakeytron

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly,

If I can't find any help locally I will personally transport this baby myself to another state. Really, I'm not kidding. I can't put down a kitten who could live a full long life with the right care. I have family in Ohio, you never know, I may end up taking a road trip.

I'm sure there has to be someone near me who has an FIV+ cat who would be willing to take this kitten but I just don't know how to find them.

emmag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How about posting pictures and details at your local vets??? Somebody with a FIV positive cat might see the details and be interested

Good luck

flakeytron

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great idea! I did get some good information from Best Friends in Utah but they don't have any spaces available. It would be ideal to find someone local.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Honestly,

If I can't find any help locally I will personally transport this baby myself to another state. Really, I'm not kidding. I can't put down a kitten who could live a full long life with the right care. I have family in Ohio, you never know, I may end up taking a road trip.

I'm sure there has to be someone near me who has an FIV+ cat who would be willing to take this kitten but I just don't know how to find them.
I just emailed you about this. Good luck finding someone local but, if not, let me know.