Anyone here have Havana Browns?

boomerkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am NOT in the market for a cat at all. I have always admired the dark chocolate coats of the Havana Browns. Having read quite a bit about them on the web, I am curious as to people's first hand experience with them. What are they like to live with? Longevity? Any genetic heath issues?
Any stories or pictures would be appreciated too! Thanks.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats 101, on Animal Planet, just aired a segment on Havana Browns...
they are gorgeous cats.

If you can keep an eye out for Cats 101....
it is always a joy to watch.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over here Havana is the colour name given to chocolate Orientals, so they have the same personality and life expectancy as Siamese/Orientals.

I think American Havana's have a different type, but may still outcross to Oriental.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boomerkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That first article was quite interesting. It appears they are still in the process of "becoming" since the stud books are open to out crossing. Maybe by the time the breed is perfected in the US I will be ready for one. That seems to be a long way off. I certainly would love to meet some in the meanwhile.

boomerkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The last cat show I went to (which was a long time ago) the people were horrid. I know enough since I show dogs to not interrupt people while they are getting ready and actively competing. I tried to talk to people after the excitement had died down and had trouble getting a conversation out of anyone. I was not happy and left with a bad impression.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BoomerKitty

The last cat show I went to (which was a long time ago) the people were horrid. I know enough since I show dogs to not interrupt people while they are getting ready and actively competing. I tried to talk to people after the excitement had died down and had trouble getting a conversation out of anyone. I was not happy and left with a bad impression.
Go to a TICA or AFCA show. CFA shows are well known for their snobby attitude exhibitors. The two registries I mentioned pride themselves on being a friendly bunch, although there are always exceptions and you will find a rude person or two in the group as well.

boomerkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL, it was indeed a CFA show in Minneapolis. I don't live in Minnesota anymore and am in Kentucky. The thing that made the worst impression to me were signs on the crates that said "don't ASK to pet me". I can understand "no fingers in the crate" or "do not disturb", but don't even ask?
When I am at a dog show or obedience trial I ALWAYS allow newbies to come up and meet my dogs after I am done. It's a chance to educate about the breed. There are a fair share of morons out there belonging to John Q. Public however SOME are actually open to learning.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have to agree with your sentiments there Boomer. But, I have had the same experience at ACFA and TICA as well as CFA. Now that I have been showing for a bit over a year I can kind of understand, but I still believe that part of our responsibility as cat breeders is to promote our breed and answer questions. How else will people become less ignorant/more educated and let go of stereotypes?

For example, and I am not assuming the Original Poster doesn't know this information: I have had a number of people come to my benching area and tell me that a kitten should be homed at 8 weeks or earlier to ensure that it becomes a good house cat.

I keep a stack of CFA pamphlets on top of my cat cage for people to take if they wish.

In terms of the do not touch signs, I agree that was rude, but the easiest way to transfer cat diseases is on our hands. We touch one cat then touch another.. and the absolute worst, worst thing that can happen to your cattery is an outside disease getting in. Your reputation can be ruined, and you will need to go to extraordinary measures to wipe out whatever contaminant made it in.. quarantining all cats until it is gone. Feline diseases seem to be much worse than their doggie counterparts. Kennel cough is comparatively easy to clear up.

Anyway, to each his/her own, and of course this is just my opinion after just 2 years in the cat world. Maybe I'll change my outlook after a few years.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sohni

In terms of the do not touch signs, I agree that was rude, but the easiest way to transfer cat diseases is on our hands. We touch one cat then touch another..
There are people who prefer the cats not to be touched, I just ask that they use the show disinfectant before patting my cats.

The wording on the sign was perhaps a little rude, here people use "your kind affection can spread infection" or "I don't bite but my owner might" Others just put a sheet of plastic over the front of cage so fingers can't go in.

atinsley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Havana browns are amazing looking cats, but are very hard to find.

I believe on cats 101 they said less than 100 purebred HBs are registered in the US.

swoshum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's cool, I didn't realize they were so rare! We just had one become a regular patient at the vet clinic I work at and she is absolutely beautiful and loves to be on your shoulders.