Anyone here have Arthritis?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cherries help gout by lowering uric acid levels. In those with regular arthritis, trying to lower uric acid when it isn't the cause of the inflammation isn't going to be very helpful. In osteoarthritis, especially those who already have significant damage causing pain, its not going to do anything.

There are a lot of supposed diets out there to lower inflammation in the body, and for some people they do work. Some believe that avoiding all nightshade family plants helps (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes). One is low-no starches and gluten. Especially if they're HLA-B27 positive tissue type because of the overlap in these people having GI inflammation. (those with AS, crohn's, reactive arthritis)
Research diets before engaging in them.

Though with anything there's always a placebo affect and the mind can do some pretty amazing things when one believes something.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That would be me.

Before you do anything you need to see a rheumatologist and get tested. Seeing a rheumatologist is important because he or she will be more familiar with diagnosis.

There are two tests to diagnose RA. The standard one that test for the RA factor and the CCP test. The formal name id “Cyclic Citrullinated Peptide Antibodyâ€.

Passing or failing either one or both of these tests will help determine the proper treatment.

In my case when I complained to my regular doctor about joint pain he did a quick diagnosis of arthritis. He did not mention the RA test being done.

The first thing the rheumatologist asked was “have you been tested for RA?†His next comment was… I see you have but it came out negative. But I was still showing all the symptoms.

When I did not respond to conservative treatments. He ordered more tests and when the CCP numbers came back high the diagnosis was confirmed.

The moral of the story….the first doctor did the right thing but not being an expert did not follow it further. If I knew then what I know now would I be better? Maybe, maybe not. But at least I would know what I was dealing with.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
yup, i have it - mostly in my hands & feet [having it in my feet is new this year]. i was having so much foot pain & actually spent $300 to try to determine the cause - osteoarthritis & bone spurs [on the top of my left arch i have spurs].

btw, guys - there are black cherry extract capsules - lower in calories!

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

btw, guys - there are black cherry extract capsules - lower in calories!
Yabut, do they TASTE as good as real cherries???LOL May have to check these out too, anything that works is worth it, placebo effect or not. Some days, I can feel every broken bone and over stretched joint that I acquired after years of driving fast moving horses and now, with all the water lying around, moving around aint much fun.

BTW.....anyone got a spare ark?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
cherry juice in a concentrate is often very reasonable ... I think last time I got it a small bottle made 8 gallons for 10$...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, I got some great advice, I'm going to start with the cherries and work my way to seeing a doctor.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

Yabut, do they TASTE as good as real cherries???LOL
well, now, i've never actually tasted them - just swallowed them! but probably not, [assuming you tasted the powder] because very few things taste as good as cherries!
sunmaid makes a dried tart cherry that is phenomenal. i really like tart pie cherrys - even the canned kind packed in water w/no additional sugar.