Anyone here have a beagle?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want a beagle! We're getting a new bitch soon, hopefully one that's a few years old. We can't handle puppies. Mum wants a Great Dane though!

I hope you get her, let us know if you do

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great dogs! Typical of most hounds they have an overdeveloped sense of smell, which makes them very scent oriented. (All dogs are scent oriented, but the selectively developed sense of smell in scent hounds creates a strong focus in this area.) As with all scent hounds, they also may tend to dig (again - the component of the scent thing.)

Also, as with other hounds, they tend to be pack oriented, which generally translates to very outgoing and social. (This is again a function of low level inate behavior present in all dogs - often referred to simply as "pack orientation" - being overdeveloped through selective breeding over many generations.)

Here's some info on crate training which may be helpful:
http://www.dogsled.net/Education/crate.htm

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My parents have a beagle. Hank is about 10 years old and doesn't bark much. Since the back yard is surrounded by a brick wall, with a concrete foundation, he can't dig out of it.

Hank is a very friendly dog and gets along well, with all of the other dogs (my parents have four). At night, he shares a crate with Molly, the Basset hound. Hank's only "bad" habit is chewing on shoelaces. He'll trip a person, in a heartbeat.

agent_haun

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My aunt has a beagle. She's a normally sweet dog, but got into the habbit of biting strangers as she got older.
Beagles also tend to be prone to being fat. Other than that, I love them! My aunt's is doing well with her new kitten.