Anyone here a vegetarian/vegan?

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am curious about this. Is anyone here a vegetarian or vegan?

If a vegetarian -- who DO you eat? Some veggies eat fish, no red meat but other meats, no meats but will use dairy and eat cheese.

I am a vegetarian (no meat--at all. Only digest diary when cooked in something and not solely like milk or cheese) and would just love to hear what others experience (even questions) are.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe

I am curious about this. Is anyone here a vegetarian or vegan?

If a vegetarian -- who DO you eat? Some veggies eat fish, no red meat but other meats, no meats but will use dairy and eat cheese.

I am a vegetarian and would just love to hear what others experience (even questions) are.

A Vegetarian does not eat animal flesh and/or meat at all. So fish would make that person a Pescetarian, not a Vegetarian.
I haven't eaten red meat since I was a child. I eat tons of fresh fruits and vegetables daily and prepare them in ways that I never get tired of, the combos are endless. I rarely ever drink milk, but will eat cheese.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I saw a nutritionist she stated that there are subcategories of vegetarians - ie: pesco, oco-lacto. Hence, why I asked the question the way I did.

I think I am gearing up to become vegan. Just need to get more accustomed to almond milk (I'm allergic to soy and have issues with monsanto).

Has anyone seen the documentary "Food, Inc."?

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend and I are working towards cutting meat out of our diets. We will still eat seafood for a while anyways, not sure if we'll give that up or not. I don't like eggs, but will still eat dairy foods. I'm not a huge milk fan, but we only use soymilk instead of regular milk.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe

When I saw a nutritionist she stated that there are subcategories of vegetarians - ie: pesco, oco-lacto.
Has anyone seen the documentary "Food, Inc."?
The eating of an animal is not a Vegetarian practice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism
Read the bottom of this comparing other diets (it sources it from reputable places)

I have seen Food Inc. and loved it!

Here is a forum made up of vegetarians and some vegans
http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/forum.php

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My sister is a vegetarian and my SIL is a Vegan. My Brother follows a Vegan diet mostly because of his wife but eats meat, and stuff outside of their home. BUT he is a vegan baker so that is really neat.

I did see Food.Inc. I thought it was wonderful.

I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan but I stick to organic food.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm vegetarian, and I have to agree I get so annoyed when people ask if I'll eat fish. I am VEGETARIAN!!

So basically my answer to anyone trying to understand what I do and don't eat is- I don't eat dead animals. (no, i don't eat live ones either...
)

I do eat cheese and the occasional omelette, I could probably be vegan if it weren't for cheese. Yum. Oh well. One of these days maybe..

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I nearly was one, years ago--I ate very little meat or eggs. And my health suffered for it. I became severely anemic. All I can remember is that my hemoglobin (?) was 4. It should've been from 12.5 to 26. Last November was the first time since 1995 that I know it was normal--12.5. And that's after eating much more red meat. (My doctor ordered me to start eating red meat, back in 1995, after those test results. He said iron pills would not be enough to help my anemia, as I also needed animal protein. Iron pills make me violently ill--I can't take them.) I understand the feeling about wanting to go vegetarian, but please, especially if you're a woman who menstruates, re-consider.

And yes, I still feel pangs of guilt every time I eat meat. However, we humans do have canine teeth and molars. We are meant to be carnivores, though I do believe that cutting down on red meat, especially fatty meats, is beneficial to our health (if not anemic). IMHO, we no longer have the same dietary needs as our pre-historic ancestors, who had a mostly red meat diet (which aided in brain development for our species).

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marge Cat, I respectfully venture to say that you have something else going on besides just not eating meat if it has taken 16 years of meat eating to get a normal reading. That is just very extreme.

I was vegetarian for 2.5 years prior and all through my chemotherapy. My counts bounced back just fine despite being so desperately low that I need several transfusions and platelets due to the chemo. I was very relieved as so many people were telling me to eat meat, thinking that would help.

Cally

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a vegetarian for 5 years. I gave it up when I started getting sick and actually had cravings for meat, which in time had grown to disgust me the more time I went without it.
It wasn't the vegetarianism that made me sick, it was the fact that I wasn't doing it right. I wasn't eating healthy foods, I wasn't making sure I got enough enough protein or anything.

I stopped eating meat again just a few days ago. This time I'm ready to do it right and eat healthier.

I have to say, a pet peeve of mine is when people say, "Yeah, I'm pretty much a vegetarian. I only eat chicken and then it's only every couple of weeks." Sorry, you either don't eat meat or you don't; you're a vegetarian or you're not.

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
me! It was the best decision I've ever made in my life, and I am a much better person for it, in every way..and, it really is easy (for me)! (This is coming from a person who ate every animal and animal body part under the sun, from snails to cow's stomach, to raw fish to raw meat, I ate everything..lol). For the past 10 yrs. or so I've felt "lighter", if that makes sense, both physically and mentally. There are so so many awesome veggie/vegan products out there now that taste so fine!

best wishes and good luck for those who are transitioning or are considering it, it really is worth it, there is a plethora of great resources on the net to help!

And for you Dark Mavis:

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mollysmom

I wasn't eating healthy foods, I wasn't making sure I got enough enough protein or anything.
I stopped eating meat again just a few days ago. This time I'm ready to do it right and eat healthier.
Awesome that you are going to try again.
I get tons of protein eating beans, legumes, nuts, eggs, flax, some grains (like certain wheats and quinoa), nut butters, cheeses, tofu's, and greek yogurt. Actually there is a lot of protein in many different foods.
Lots of people don't do their diets right/eat the right things, vegetarians or not.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are what you eat, and I eat vegetarian animals.

So yes, I am vegetarian, in a way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd quote but well, I'm lazy

Re: The sub-vegetarian categories when I met with a nutritionist. I go by what I learn and as long as I am straight with my diet, I'm okay. Sorry if I offended anyone--sure was not my intent.

Re: Cheese. I, too, am a huge cheese fan. But one day I went to a pizza chain called "Z Pizza" and ate a vegan slice. OMG it was tasty! They used entirely vegan ingredients including Daiya cheese which is sooo tasty too! It takes some getting used to, I guess. But I'm used to it and found it at a grocery store so I am good now.

The only time I have a harder time is when going out to eat. Animal products to some extent are used everywhere out here. Despite living in a huge city, in the central corridor, it still remains a pain. Therefore, at times, I am forced to eat something with an animal product in it (think eggs or dairy).

I also used to be really into organic but now I have my organic boundaries. Obviously, buying an organic banana or orange is almost counterproductive. Now, I spent my organic allowance on buying organic things like strawberries instead.

My health has improved drastically since this complete change. I've even lost 30-40 lbs. But again, that's me and it isn't for everyone.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Awesome that you are going to try again.
I get tons of protein eating beans, legumes, nuts, eggs, flax, some grains (like certain wheats and quinoa), nut butters, cheeses, tofu's, and greek yogurt. Actually there is a lot of protein in many different foods.
Lots of people don't do their diets right/eat the right things, vegetarians or not.
Exactly, that's where I went wrong. I didn't eat nuts or much of anything with protein at all. No wonder I started not feeling well.

This time I have a healthy plan and I'm going to stick to it.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been a vegetarian for so long that I can't even remember when it started. I know that first I cut out red meat almost totally for a few years. I would eat it once or twice a month. Then I cut out poultry, also, for a few more years. Eventually I stopped eating all seafood.

That was at least 10 years ago. I don't miss eating animals at all. The thought disturbs me. My friends and family (other than my cats) avoid eating much meat in front of me. I'm grateful for that. I can't take it.

I think vegetarianism is much healthier if you don't eat junk. I eat whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and legumes.

I do eat a few eggs (2 or less a week), some cheese, and other low fat, mostly organic dairy foods.

Most people eat way more protein than their bodies can use, so it gets stored as fat. I was anemic when I was in my 20's, when I still ate red meat. Iron pills solved that problem.

I have no interest in going vegan. I'm very healthy.

Robin

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something that I had a problem with and since I'm restarting my vegetarianism is going to be a problem again, is when I get invited somewhere and they have lots of meat, not usually anything I can eat. I always feel so rude when I decline what's offered to me. Any suggestions for how to handle a situation like this?

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never felt it was rude to anyone that I don't eat meat. Anyone whose house I'm going to knows I am a vegetarian. I don't apologize for that. I consider my way the better way to live.

However I don't expect others to worry about my diet and do anything special. There's nearly always plenty of side dishes that I can eat. Also plenty of choices in restaurants - as long as you don't try to eat vegan all the time.

People on wheat free, raw foods, or kosher diets have a much harder time eating out, and forget it if you want a low sodium diet.

Robin

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mollysmom, no worries, everyone has food/dietary preferences, no need to feel rude. Just politely decline, a "no thanks" will suffice, if you don't want to say you're vegetarian yet, that's ok. Fill up on the non-meat dishes!

But at some point in time, you will probably would like to tell people around you, "no thanks, I dont eat meat", or "I'm vegetarian", or whatever. Believe you me, the people around you will adapt, and deal. You don't have to explain, you do not have to apologize, they will deal and accept, and if they don't, it's not your problem -it's theirs. It's your choice not to eat animals, it's your life, the naysayers can F* off if they don't like it, do what is right for you, and what you want to do, and what you know is right for you and your conscience..
I've been there, pm me if you want to chat