Anyone have trouble with cat collars?

mishkas mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Mishka's ID tag just came in today... I'm very excited because she has started taking too much of an interest in the door to outside for my liking... Anyway, i put her collar on her for the first time, and she is NOT happy about it!! She is flailing all around the house trying to bat at the dangling tag. Will she eventually get use to the collar or is it a lost cause?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it is suggested that if your kitty doesn't like the collar at first to put it on for just a little at a time to get kitty used to it. It is a breakway collar, right? Because even if she's an indoor only kitty, it can get caught on things and strangle her to death if it's not a breakaway.

We tried collars on our kitties. They acted like it weighed a million tons. They ALL lied down on the floor, crawled around on their bellies - more like we'd gotten them drunk than put a collar on. We didn't bother trying to train them to get used to it. We had them microchipped in case they ever escape out the door. Thank god they haven't even ever shown any interest in being anywhere but our home.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishkas mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yep! it is a safety collar... however i got her one with a stretchy part that loosens if it gets caught so she can slip out rather than the breakaway, because she's so small i was worried that her weight wouldnt be enough to "break away" the other kind of collar... i forgot to ask the vet about micro chipping when we were there last time.... if you dont mind me asking, how much does that cost??? and is it painful at all for the kitty?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had it done five years ago, so I'm sorry, I don't remember how much it cost.
It's basically given as like an injection - the cats didn't complain any more than with a vaccine. In fact, I think the injection site of a vaccine can be sensitive for some time, and the microchip they acted like nothing had happened (didn't mind being brushed that same day).

But if you also want kitty to wear the collar, I'd try just putting it on for a little bit at a time, and lengthen the amount of time you leave it on. I'd also probably use treats and lots of "good girl" praise to help the process. Maybe some new toys, and distracting her with play while it's on at first.....

Laurie

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chipping isn't that expensive - check with your vet to see her charges, or if they run a 'special' at some time during the year - or with your municipal animal control - a lot of times they'll chip for a very nominal price. Then, IIRC, it's about $15 per animal to register with the chip company itself so they can track you down if the animal is reported missing. Don't forget to contact the company if you move or change phone numbers! In my area, all the local police have scanners to check for chips, as well as the vets and animal control.

My girl would wear a collar - my boy absolutely hates his (I've tried several versions of safety collars) and taught my girl how to get hers off (yes, we go up to the paper towel dispenser on the wall, hook the collar against the arm holding the paper roll, and give a little yank - side benefit, besides collar being off, is that the 'boing' sounds really freaks out mommy!)

Good luck with your babies!