Anyone have first hand pyo info?

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

My dog had pyo, I suspected what was going on, she had a discharge and was lethargic (I kept delaying spaying her 'cause I thought I "might" show her, baaaaad mommy!) so she had an emergency spay at 6 years of age (she's 8 now.) The closed pyo is the real danger, not even knowing it's happening. And apparently, even breeding isn't always proof against it. My breeder's site has a page on it and some graphic
photos of a pyometra surgery. Trust me, after seeing that you'd never want to chance an entire female again!
Wow that site is an eye opener!
Does anyone know how long the other symptoms start to show after the initial discharge?
I got a cat several months back (about 3 or 4 months ago) as a breeder and she had some discharge too (greeish/yellowish). Her abdomen is a little large as well and I know she's not prego because she just came into heat, although she does eat A LOT so she might just be fat. I took her to the vet and the vet did some tests and found no bacteria and said she was fine. When she came here she had obviously had a litter sort of recently (8 weeks before) because her breasts were heavy and full of milk.
If she had just had kittens what are the chances of her having pyro?
The vet said the discharge was most likely from her uterus contracting, but i've never heard of this...
The discharge has since stopped, and she dosen't act sick at all.
Also, is anyone here familier with CEH? What is the difference between CEH and Pyro?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizch6699

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I've made an appointment to have her fixed on the 17th so I'll be looking for good vibes then. Sooo nervous

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

Wow that site is an eye opener!
Does anyone know how long the other symptoms start to show after the initial discharge?
I got a cat several months back (about 3 or 4 months ago) as a breeder and she had some discharge too (greeish/yellowish). Her abdomen is a little large as well and I know she's not prego because she just came into heat, although she does eat A LOT so she might just be fat. I took her to the vet and the vet did some tests and found no bacteria and said she was fine. When she came here she had obviously had a litter sort of recently (8 weeks before) because her breasts were heavy and full of milk.
If she had just had kittens what are the chances of her having pyro?
The vet said the discharge was most likely from her uterus contracting, but i've never heard of this...
The discharge has since stopped, and she dosen't act sick at all.
Also, is anyone here familier with CEH? What is the difference between CEH and Pyro?
Cats with pyometra are very sick, so general signs of illness are a red flag.

If a cat recently had a litter then pyo is unlikely but not impossible. The condition is fairly easy to identify with x-rays.

CEH is not pyometra. It is an overgrowth of the uterine lining and is in itself harmless, whereas pyometra is an infection of the uterus and is very serious. However, CEH would increase the risk for pyo because the uterine lining provides the medium for the bacteria to grow.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

Cats with pyometra are very sick, so general signs of illness are a red flag.

If a cat recently had a litter then pyo is unlikely but not impossible. The condition is fairly easy to identify with x-rays.

CEH is not pyometra. It is an overgrowth of the uterine lining and is in itself harmless, whereas pyometra is an infection of the uterus and is very serious. However, CEH would increase the risk for pyo because the uterine lining provides the medium for the bacteria to grow.
Is a cat sterile usually with CEH?

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not as far as I know, but it would definitely be in her best interests to be spayed because CEH is the precursor of pyo, and pyo is definitely a condition that should be prevented rather than treated. With CEH, I would consider even one estrus that did not result in pregnancy to put her at huge risk for pyometra. Plus depending on what level genetics plays in the development of this condition, the cat's suitability for breeding would have to be carefully considered on that level as well.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

Not as far as I know, but it would definitely be in her best interests to be spayed because CEH is the precursor of pyo, and pyo is definitely a condition that should be prevented rather than treated. With CEH, I would consider even one estrus that did not result in pregnancy to put her at huge risk for pyometra. Plus depending on what level genetics plays in the development of this condition, the cat's suitability for breeding would have to be carefully considered on that level as well.
Im not even sure she has it so im not getting her spayed just yet considering she is a valuable breeding cat. I don't know that genetics plays too large of a role in her case because both of her parents are still producing. Her last litter im told was 5 kittens.
If I find that she's sterile after a couple of heats, yes i'll get her spayed and place her. It would be a shame though since she really is a beautiful, typy bengal!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed for the spay op. My friend had a dog with such a severe heart murmur that the vet wouldnt spay her. She went on (a few years later) to develop pyo so had to have an emergency spay which was obviously more dangerous. Interestingly, I had a 14 year old unspayed rescue last year who had mammary cancer but must never have had pyo.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would have to diagree with your vet. Pyo is VERY common in intact females. Females that aren't bred. Intact female cats often get pregnant, therefor they don't get pyo, but if you prevent pregnancy by keeping the female cat indoor without any fertile males, she'll get pyo. Sooner or later.

I had to have my oldest female spayed due to pyo. I waited just a little bit to long between the matings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizch6699

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I decided to make an appointment to have her spayed. She's so miserable when she's in heat and if I wait until she does have pyo it'd be more dangerous than if done now. So we'll see, wish her luck...