Anyone have any tips for aftercare after a dental surgery?

lucyskyekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby's got a mouth infection and the vet is putting her under to take out all of her teeth tomorrow (my poor gummy kitty :(...)

Does anyone have any tips / advice on how to make her comfortable when she's home? I wanna make everything nice for her, especially if I have to leave the house soonafter.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure she has several bowls of water around and you might get her some watered down pate that she can lick up, or some lickable treats. My cats love Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. Usually cats do very well after having teeth pulled, my boy had two pulled and still ate hard food the first day.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet will send your cat home with post-dental instructions and pain medicine. Make sure you get those when you pick up the cat and completely understand the instructions and how to give the pain medicine and how often.

Your cat may still be under the effects of anesthesia for a few hours or so at pick up time. Some wobbliness and increased sleeping are normal. Just monitor the cat and discourage jumping. If you have stairs, best to confine the cat to one level of the home until the anesthesia has worn off. Offer canned food instead of dry because the mouth will be sore for awhile. If you normally feed dry, you'll need to feed enough canned food daily to ensure a similar calorie intake. This may be a few cans, depending on the can size and calorie content of each.