Anyone have any bisque dolls?

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have what I think is a Bisque doll (head, arms, and legs). I'm trying to get a picture of what it looked like originally so I can possible get it repaired. (the covered eye is busted out) I think I got it sometime in the 1980's as a child. Did anyone else possibly get it too that can give me any information. The doll has no identifying marks that I can find.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to get her fixed for sentimental reasons you certainly can get that eye put back in place. But the doll has minimal monetary value as its from the 1980s, so fixing it will do little to improve that, and in fact will cost more than the doll is worth if you can't do it yourself.

Antique dolls have their eyes set with plaster. These modern ones, not so sure if its plaster or hot glue.

I have a colelction of antigues as well as modern dolls and am a member of UFDC (United Federation of Doll Clubs)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lyrajean

If you want to get her fixed for sentimental reasons you certainly can get that eye put back in place. But the doll has minimal monetary value as its from the 1980s, so fixing it will do little to improve that, and in fact will cost more than the doll is worth if you can't do it yourself.

Antique dolls have their eyes set with plaster. These modern ones, not so sure if its plaster or hot glue.

I have a colelction of antigues as well as modern dolls and am a member of UFDC (United Federation of Doll Clubs)
I would be fixing it for sentimental reasons only. I'm pretty sure it was ordered out of a magazine or some such as my Granny didn't actually go out and do much shopping...plus I believe my sister got one too. Her eye is actually inside her head and it appears to be all one piece (eyes and head)..not a glass eye or anything. Where it broke out it's jagged not a solid break.

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Pretty!

Have you tried google image search?

http://images.google.ca/images?q=Bis...N&hl=en&tab=wi

Edit: Here is a site that sells antique dolls and also does repairs on them. Maybe she can help.

http://www.dmcginley.com/
I've searched for hours today for a picture on google and nothing. I did find the other one I had that is the one they named "Walda" because everyone thought it was an antique but it was a mass production.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marinewife05

I would be fixing it for sentimental reasons only. I'm pretty sure it was ordered out of a magazine or some such as my Granny didn't actually go out and do much shopping...plus I believe my sister got one too. Her eye is actually inside her head and it appears to be all one piece (eyes and head)..not a glass eye or anything. Where it broke out it's jagged not a solid break.
Is your grandmother still alive? If so you could ask, if not I completely understand wanting to get it fixed.

As said, it's probably not worth as much as it will cost to get it repaired but if you want to do that, go ahead. They'd have to take her head off of her body to retrieve and fix her eye - and may be able to find some sort of mold mark then.

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Is your grandmother still alive? If so you could ask, if not I completely understand wanting to get it fixed.

As said, it's probably not worth as much as it will cost to get it repaired but if you want to do that, go ahead. They'd have to take her head off of her body to retrieve and fix her eye - and may be able to find some sort of mold mark then.
She's still alive, but I don't know for how long. She just turned 96 and is in a nursing home and has either dementia or Alzheimer's.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She does appear to have set-in glass eyes. The head will have to be taken off so the eyes can be accessed. It looks like the missing glass eye may itself be broken, in which case she would need a new set of eyes.

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bisque doll really scare me all the time and for what reason I don't know
I don't keep them but Barbie dolls are fine

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to get her fixed for sentimental reasons you certainly can get that eye put back in place. But the doll has minimal monetary value as its from the 1980s, so fixing it will do little to improve that, and in fact will cost more than the doll is worth if you can't do it yourself
Great answer; f have a collection of antique and vintage dolls myself and I agree totally.

This doll probably has a cloth body with a bisque shoulder head. Can you remove the shoulder plate to get at the iinside of her head? She may have a cut-out at the top of her head; if so, you can access the inside of her head that way. Do you have the eye or is it broken?

I can understand wanting to have her repaired for sentimental reasons, but doll repair work isn't cheap. Could you fashion an eye patch and pretend she's a pirate?