Anyone have an SF book suggestion?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by patriciapj

'Sirens of Titan' especially good.
Oh yes, you are so right! That book was a huge influence on me when I was a kid. And when I saw Vonnegut speak at UT Austin back in the '80s... oh gosh, he was an amazing, inspiring man. Thanks for reminding me that I haven't read all of Vonnegut, and I should!

This thread is so great... I'm printing out all these recommendations and heading for the library!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

This thread is so great... I'm printing out all these recommendations and heading for the library!
I hope your library is better than mine!

Did you check the link I posted to The Internet Speculative Fiction Database?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by goonie

try neil gaiman's 'GOOD OMENS' co-written with terry pratchett. you won't put it down.
I went to our local half-price book store (used and remaindered books) and picked up a Pratchett book I haven't read yet. I also got a bood entitled "Falling Sideways." The earth is controlled by frogs?!?

For what it's worth, you can download all of Vonnegut's books for free from:

http://www.wowio.com

I've read most of Heinlein. I could say I grok him...but that would be too nerdy, wouldn't it? He clearly loved cats, and if I were a guessing man, I would say if he wasn't gay, he at least had an interesting self-image dichotomy (he wanted to be female, in other words).

By the way, an interesting trivia question: Why could Pixel walk through walls? Because he didn't know he couldn't.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I also tend to prefer dystopia future type stories. Always fun!
Yes, a couple of my all-time favorite books are "War Day" and "The Last Man on Earth."

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i usually read fantasy rather than SF . but another SF series i loved was douglas adams 'hitchhiker's guide through the galaxy'.
an excellent info site on books and authors is
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk
they have every book by the author listed wether out ofprint or not. lots of info on new books too

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The bad news is that a number of the authors I like have died. Asimov, for example. H. Beam Piper.

I like Keith Laumer, etc. I have a little bit of all kinds of authors. I may just re-read some of them.

What I need is another Chanur book!
Do you mean the Chanur books by CJ Cherryh? I read most of those for my SF class. (Taking a SF class was the only way I could do some reading without feeling guilty about neglecting my other schoolwork.)

One of my favorite Clarke books is The Wind From The Sun.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I hope your library is better than mine!

Did you check the link I posted to The Internet Speculative Fiction Database?
Ah, we are very fortunate here -- there are three pretty-good libraries within two miles of my house! Probably half a dozen more within five miles... and if I drive about 20 minutes, I can get to the gorgeous main library of the town of Frisco, an almost-new four-story Temple O' Books where the volumes are all new and fresh and don't yet smell like cigarettes!

That's one nice thing about living in the richest, most rightwing county in Texas -- they've got plenty of money to spend on good libraries. The downside is that they're also extremely selective about what books they put in 'em.
I never can find a copy of Fahrenheit 451, and sometimes late at night, you can see a thin plume of smoke rising from behind the library...

And yes'm, I did check that site! Thank you very much! Apparently, the term "speculative" is broader than I thought -- what a great resource that is!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

That's one nice thing about living in the richest, most rightwing county in Texas -- they've got plenty of money to spend on good libraries. The downside is that they're also extremely selective about what books they put in 'em.
I never can find a copy of Fahrenheit 451, and sometimes late at night, you can see a thin plume of smoke rising from behind the library...
I think that's a bit of the problem here, too. If you know anything about some sci fi and speculative fic writers... you can guess why some of their works won't be found in some libraries. I wonder if you could find any Ayn Rand?

The one here in town has a few sci fi books (Asimov, Heinlein, and Herbert) but it looks like the books were originally added back in the 70s when they came out. Newer fiction there focuses on mystery, crime, and romance...

What I don't understand is how these little libraries have book sales (selling used/old books) while they have whole sections of empty shelves.

If you really want a copy of Fahrenheit 451, just check a used book store and get one for a couple of dollars or ask a friend, most people have a couple copies laying around.

Anyways, happy book hunting!
---
I've read some CJ Cherryh books, too. Last little bio I read on one of the book flaps said she was living in Oklahoma? Though I've mostly read her fantasy series, the Gate series has some crossover to sci fi. I've tried 3 times to read The Dreaming Tree... I can't get more than halfway.

To those that do buy used books or have old battered ones. Does anyone else cover their paperbacks with clear contact paper? I cover all new books and restore old battered ones to looking almost new.
It's a good idea if anyone has time and know that they may eventually pass their books on as it saves them for future readers.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CJ Cherryh was from Oklahoma (although born in Saint Louis) and lived, studied, and taught there, among other places. She currently lives in the Spokane, WA, area.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ She must have moved in the last 10-15 years. It's been a long time since I picked up any of her books in hardcover.