Anyone have a woodstove?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitty looks hypnotized too. 
  I do enjoy just watching the fire.  Is your stove set up in front of an old fireplace?  It looks like there is dark molding around it?  

the fence looks really well placed/positioned. my fence doesn't move around because the contractors put a few screws through different spots on the lower horizontal bars, screwed down into the floor.

yay! i'm glad you all found a place to get firewood! if you need more storage (than your log rack) for firewood at some point, i just use 2x4x8's and lay two of those the right distance apart for the firewood to lay across them. at tractor supply they sell log rack brackets (http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/redstonetrade%3B-adjustable-log-rack-bracket-set) to use with lumber to easily put together a log rack. much less expensive than buying a metal log rack, though not as nice looking.

you're welcome!
I think when the kids are older we will want to take the fence down.  Plus by then I think I'll have a better feel for how our cats act around it.  They walked around it yesterday before the fence was attached; but they didn't get to see it with a fire in it.  It had gone way down by the time I let them out of the bedroom.  Noodles wanted back in there this morning.  DH won't be pleased. 

I think I have seen a log rack like that before.  We did just get a Tractor Supply Company not too long ago.  I think our wood rack is only about 4'.  We can always use that one for near the house and put something more economical behind our shed (where the one we have was).  At one point DH had hammered logs from our pines into the ground and improvised a wood rack from that.  Our neighbor burned most of our pine trees in his wood stove; but we'd rather not use that inside.  

Thank  you all for the compliments!  It's super windy here today and it just FEELS cold and I want to curl up by the fire!  DH and I weren't planning on lighting another fire till Saturday so we can open the windows if it smokes again.  I think he said the first few fires.  The paperwork with the stove said to use 3 fires to break it in.  He is at work anyway. And DD gave him her cold; so it's not likely he is up to doing much in the evenings.

My next project is figuring out where the toys will go!  I had 2 opposite corners of the living room for toys.  One held the majority of the kids books and the other had the toys.  That is where we put the wood stove.  I have one of those Closetmaid "cubby" units that you can get those different colored canvas bins for.  It fits between the gate and the couch with about an inch of clearance on either side; but DH thinks maybe we should move the couch down closer to the stove and put the toys in the empty space behind the couch.  It's an L shaped couch; so that affects how we can rearrange the living room.  Right now the cubby unit is in front of the doorway to the living room that I keep gated anyway.  It'll help once my DS can have his toys in his room.  About 3:30 this morning he was up trying to put his elmo slippers on; so yeah, that's exactly why he has no toys in his room. 

katie joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes my wood stove is set inside an old fireplace. I live in an Edwardian Dutch home, so many old features. We have two fireplaces, one is blocked up from the previous owner. Now I have a cat bed in it! Lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes my wood stove is set inside an old fireplace. I live in an Edwardian Dutch home, so many old features. We have two fireplaces, one is blocked up from the previous owner. Now I have a cat bed in it! Lol
Oh that sounds nice!  Older homes have so much more character.  I know they can bring their headaches; but I've always loved to see how the old and new are blended in older homes.  

We had our 2nd fire this weekend. No more off-smoking from the paint. lol  We turned the heat off and the only room that was cold was our master bedroom.  We didn't even start a large fire in it or keep it going for very long.  Our bedroom door was shut and it's the farthest thing from the stove itself.  We definitely need some practice lighting fires.  DH's experience is mostly outdoor ones.  He wasn't sure if the wood he bought wasn't quite as dry as he thought or if it was just getting a feel for what's needed; but he ran out back for more kindling 3 or 4 times.  It's a good thing our maple trees drop a lot of small branches.  We've got a huge pile of them.  Our neighbors used to burn pine cones as kindling too.  I'm not sure if that's recommended; but we have plenty  of those too.  It's usually the kid's job to pick those up for us.