Anyone have a Flat Burner Stove

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

We got one with our new house, and I'm not really thrilled with it. I found it actually harder to clean (I'm a VERY messy cook!) because you can only use special cleaners on them. My MIL did find a hand scrubber with replacable pads that make it much easier. The main reason I don't like it is because it becomes another counter for us. We have a tendency to clutter things up quite a bit, and I'm terrified one of these days the cats will be playing in the middle of the night and accidently turn on the stove and start a fire with the mail or something. It would be out own fault, and we do TRY to keep the stove clutter free, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

I didn't know that about cast iron skillets and flat top stoves. I'm glad I read that.
I agree! They are a PAIN to clean! And like Nikki said they are not safe if you have little ones. They take FOREVER to cool down! Travis and I both HATE our flat top!

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had mine for 10 years and I love it. Too keep my kitties from burning their paws I always fill a pot with cold water and set it on the burner that I just used. It helps cool the burner down and also puts something in the way so my guy can't just walk across the stove.

To clean it I use the Mr. Clean magic eraser and then wipe it down with a little soft scub and it still looks brand new.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Hope, our Sassy actually did turn on a burner once! Scared us out of our wits, and we immediately got some knob covers from Babies R Us.

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Cle.../dp/B00068O22S

And of course, that's something that can happen with any stove, so they're just a great idea for all kitty parents, I think.
Thanks for the link! I'll definitely have to check into them. Great idea!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

I agree! They are a PAIN to clean! And like Nikki said they are not safe if you have little ones. They take FOREVER to cool down! Travis and I both HATE our flat top!
There must be different types. I had to look - ours is a "Ceran" top by Schott. It's usually completely cool within 5 minutes, and wiping it with warm water and a dishrag after each use is enough to keep it quite clean. I use the steam cleaner on it once a week, when I give the cabinets, counters, etc., a good cleaning, and the polish every week or so, and it looks like it's brand-new.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's all in what you get used too! I have a flat top and I like it alot, but it takes awhile to heat up, seems like I start everything on high to get it rolling but after that it is just fine! and about the cooling down, well i think Spook may have had a come to Jesus meeting with one of the burners before, cause I found that one of his pads was really dry and cracked, he may not have got it from the hot burner, and he might just have dry pads, like my dry feet! but I wonder!???!

mbrcpr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
People tend to either love them or hate them. I LOVE mine, my husband hates it with a passion. My advice is to cook on one before you buy one. Personally, I HATE gas stoves, and actually had an outlet installed in this house because I refused to get a gas stove.

You do need PERFECTLY FLAT bottoms on your cookware, or it won't heat right (people who complain that it takes forever to boil water or whatnot usually don't have the right pans).

The cleaner isn't expensive. I think a big bottle costs about $5 and easily lasts me 4-5 months. You don't need to use it every time. I wipe mine off, and if it has spots that are still dirty, then I get out the cooktop cleaner (which you can buy at any store that sells cleaning stuff, usually).