Anyone Have A Cure For An Ingrown Toenail?

malakai711

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm gonna urge you to go to a foot doctor ASAP and have it removed... they dont remove the whole nail... just the piece thats ingrown... I had it done last month... it hurts more to leave it alone than it does to just have them cut the nail... you dont even feel it...

honestly, dont try to cut it urself cuz you'll only make it worse... that was my mistake... find a really good foot doctor... it'll be healed in a couple weeks...

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when i see my nails are getting long i just cut the sides and then pull the nail out. It doesnt hurt, and it prevents an infection

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ewww! I hope it's feeling better soon and your 'home surgery' works for you!

One of my ex boyfriends had terrible trouble with ingrowing toenails and tried the 'v' thing and self sorting. He ended up having the whole nail removed - Blech! - I watched the whole thing and it wasn't pretty!

As far as I know though, after the second time they pulled his nail out, he hasn't had any issues since!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Whew - the wine is kicking in and I've only had half a glass!
Medicinal, eh? That stuff shouldn't give you a buzz....

Glad you are doing some better though!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Waayyyyyy back when I used to dance I'd get ingrown nails a lot- from how short I had to cut my nails...

I have no idea where I heard this *and I swear by it now* but what I always did was to pull a tiny piece off a cotton ball, roll it into a smaller ball and push it under your nail- in the corner. I'd usually have to use tweezers or something to jam it under there but once it's in it's good for a few days. If you've already cut off the tip that's been hurting you, you probably won't have enough nail left to do this though.

A word of caution- THIS IS EXTREMELY PAINFUL as you can imagine!!!!!!

BUT- once you get it in there after a few minutes it should start to feel a little bit better. All it does is allow your nail to grow out naturally over the skin rather than into it. I used to do my own home surguries but after the cotton trick I decided to never ever (ever!) try cutting the little bit off because all it does is grow right back the way it was... Once you have that bit of cotton under there it will still be tender from all the "trauma" the nail caused to your skin but once that starts to heal up you should be doing much better!

I hope this helps! I know how painful those are!

As a side note- one year for Christmas Chad's mom got him some Dr. Scholl's ingrown toenail pain reliever
weirdest gift I've ever seen... but that's beside the point! Anyway- she says it's awesome, he's never used it yet since he doesn't even get ingrown toenails that often. But that is supposedly really helpful for the pain.

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use to get them all the time, when I was younger. A foot doctor had to surgically trim them out on both big toes. I have not had one since.

My toe nails look a little different because of the way they were cut they do not grow on the side. Which is fine by me it was much to painful to bare.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to have surgery twice when I was in college many years ago. After the first time, it grew back, so the next time they went down to the bone so it couldn't grow back.

If it is infected, definitely see a doc cause if not treated, the infection could spread to the bone. Then you'd need to go to the hospital for iv antibiotics.
(that's what my nurse mom told me to get me to go to the doctor)

shimmer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While in high school I had plenty of ingrown toenails, I had 8 operations over 4 years to get them cut out. They tried everything, but whatever they tried, it always involved 4 local needles in the toes- and trust me, I dont ever want to go there, they hurt more than after the operation, not even the cute russian doctor I had once made me feel better, lol.

Anyway, I ended going back the last time and they took me in the operating room in the hospital, knocked me out and then cut out the sides of my toenails on each foot. Now my toenails are rounded and look funny, and where the nail used to be I have to cut because it still grows sometimes. But other than that I have never ever had an ingrown tail since. So thats a suggestion.

Otherwise sometimes I would go swimming in the ocean for an hour or so, and all the salt would heel it really quickly, like no pain the next day. But of course you have to be close to the ocean for that!!

I wish you the best of luck, I know how it feels *hugs*