Anyone have a Cat with Feline Hyperestesia Syndrome?

ginnyp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers for you and Boo and
. Hopefully a diagnosis will come soon along with an effective treatment plan.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blood work came back normal and the vet is going to call me tomorrow with a treatment plan.

Wish I could say I felt better, however I don't. I wish this was something that would go away or could be treated and cured.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel for you but for Boo's sake, try to remain positive and calm.

Tomorrow, please update with Boo's treatment plan.

carrie007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am trying to stay positive! I feel very lucky that her blood tests came out clean and that she does not have something more serious. However, I just don't want to have anything other then a perfect life, without any health problems.

Maybe the medication will solve this, or at least stop her twitching and eating imaginary things off the floor. She seems happy, wants to play etc.... She eat and drinks normally. I guess I just don't want her to suffer at all. It is hard for me to see her go through this.

Nobody seems to be able to tell me if she can live a normal or some what normal life.

ANyways I will wait and see what medication they can put her on.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did not know what Feline Hyperestasia Syndrome was so I researched it.

I can see that this will be a challenge but you both can learn to live with it and enjoy your life together.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry not to have answers for you, but you and your sweet Boo will be in my thoughts and prayers.

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Carrie, I am so sorry that you and Boo are having to go through this
I am sending you calming vibes and Boo healing vibes

carrie007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet called today and asked me about Boo. Because Boo's frequency of these episodes is increasing she is going to consult with a feline neurologist (sp?) and find out what the best treatment options are.

She said that if this progressing into full seizures we may have to put the cat down. However she did say it may not progress.

There is so little known about Feline Hyperesthsia syndrome. It seems to get worse when Boo is active - playing and running around. When she is sitting quietly she is not affected by it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
These threads have been merged.
I believe your vet is talking too soon about putting Boo down, and will change her mind when she talks to a neurologist about prescribing anti-convulsants. If she doesn't, get another vet's opinion. Is there a university veterinary clinic in your area?

carrie007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes there is a University here .the I believe the University of Guelph is the best here in Canada and is not too far away from me.

However when she said that she would consider putting her down - it is only if the seizures were severe and frequent.

Is your cat on medication? If so what it is on?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
No, he's not, because he only averages one or two attacks a week, and they're of short duration. He's also hyperactive, and the vets decided that was a counter-indication.
BTW, check your email, as I just sent you one, since your PM inbox is full.

anneh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear Carrie,
My cat has had epileptic seizures for 11 years, which we think were brought on when she ingested boric acid (supposedly non-toxic to animals). The vet prescribed pheno-barbitol - at first 1/4 of a tablet twice a day. The body builds resistance to the drug, and now she is at 1 1/2 tablets a day, but she only has seizures when I miss medication. She is a little drugged sometimes, but otherwise has had a long and healthy life. This might be an option for your cat... good luck! Anne

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie007

Yes there is a University here .the I believe the University of Guelph is the best here in Canada and is not too far away from me.

However when she said that she would consider putting her down - it is only if the seizures were severe and frequent.
I've heard of Guelph, and you might want to consider having Boo checked out there. My vets have decades of experience, but not with hyperesthesia, and they referred me to a university veterinary clinic. Some of the vets there did have experience with it, and sat down with me and basically ran through all the options, and made recommendations.

It seems to get worse when Boo is active - playing and running around. When she is sitting quietly she is not affected by it.
I've come to believe that the activity often stems from the condition, and not the other way round, so I'm not surprised that you've observed this.

carrie007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet called and the neurologist that wrote to her said that she does not believe that it is Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome. There are two test that she wants Boo to have tomorrow one for the Feline Leukemia Virus and one for a Liver test.

After that she will put her on Phemabarbtol and the other also recommended an MRI. The other vet thinks she may have a liaison on the brain or a seizure disorder.

She said that the eating off the floor (phantom eating) is not part of Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome.

I have to take her in tomorrow for 8 a.m. and pick her up a lunch. She is also not allowed to eat tonight after 8 a.m and not allowed to eat tomorrow morning. We don't have to decide now if we want her to have an MRI, but I did make the decision to have these two test done as the Doctor said they were important.

She said after the tests are done she will start her on Phemabarbitol. If it is a seizure disorder the medication will work long term. But we'd have to wait a couple of months to see if this actually will continue to work.

I am very frustrated right now. I can't afford to have an MRI done. It is going cost like $1500 dollars. She said it definitly is not allergies because her skin is so good. I don't want to put her through all these tests to find out nothing. But I am going to do as much as I can.

carrie007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that I have to be patient, but if they can't fix this problem or find out what it is ...what do I do? I can't afford an MRI. I am so upset and frustrated.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know that I have to be patient, but if they can't fix this problem or find out what it is ...what do I do? I can't afford an MRI. I am so upset and frustrated.
You know I'm going through the same thing right now.
I've been keeping a diary today of how many times Nakita has these episodes. As an example, she had 5 this morning (each lasting 1-2 minutes). She is the same as Boo, when she is sitting or sleeping she's fine. It's only when she starts walking around.

Of course, I'm trying to read up as much as possible before I have the vet visit. Here's another interesting link which I'm including because it has great information on seizure and drug therapies.

http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/seizures/seizures.htm

An important quote taken from the link above:

....active seizure disease is defined as a seizure disorder where the seizure represents only one symptom or manifestation of the true disease process. In this case treating the seizure only treats the symptom, not the disease. The goal of neurologic assessment of patients with seizures is to determine whether the problem is due to epilepsy or secondary to an active seizure disease. The latter condition requires the greatest effort to diagnose and treat, since the active cause must be found and eliminated in order to control the brain abnormality. Failure to do so will eventually result in failure of seizure control. On the other hand, in treating epilepsy, the effort can be concentrated upon controlling the seizure
I can't really tell you what to do except take it day by day. Start with the phenobarbital and see what your options are from there. Also be thankful that you have a great vet that is doing the research for you and suggesting tests. As I mentioned to you before, my last vet didn't offer much.

carrie007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't afford an MRI so how far do I go. I guess I get these tests done and then get her on the medication and go from there.

This is my first cat, other then ones my family had and if something happened to her I don't think I could ever have another pet again. All of these things that could go wrong.....I just can't take it.

And what if the vet has missed something simple? I am just soooo frustrated. I actually closed my office door today and cried.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And what if the vet has missed something simple? I am just soooo frustrated. I actually closed my office door today and cried.
http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/vth/client_information.shtm

Here's the direct link for the Ontario Veterinary College. I would say talk with your vet and see if you can connect with the college. They are the experts and would have a better handle on you situation.

I think I will be asking for a referral when I get my appointment.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it is hard but try not to focus on things that might go wrong or a mistake in diagnosis that might have been made. Get the tests done that you can afford and try the medicine that is being recommended now. All of us can only do what we are able to do and no more. My prayers are with you and and your cat.