Anyone had "mild" gallstone issues?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jellybella

Doctors didn't want to believe a 21 year old had gallbladder issues,
I was only 21 when I had mine removed, too. It can happen at any age.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was diagnosed at 17, but had problems for a few years already. I suspect mine started around 12-14. Then I put getting it out for several years because I didn't know what else was wrong with me health wise...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw my cardiologist today and he really thinks it's not gall bladder related. He seems to think it's in my head since it was mentioned to me that it could be the cause.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I saw my cardiologist today and he really thinks it's not gall bladder related. He seems to think it's in my head since it was mentioned to me that it could be the cause.
Wait, what? Your gallbladder is full of stones, he knows this, yet thinks it's impossible that it's the cause of your symptoms?

This is where I would have said "Excuse me, you're a cardiologist, not a gastroenterologist or a psychologist. I think it best I get a second opinion." But hey, I'm not that nice sometimes...

Unfortunately, I bet what he sees is a young female who keeps having health problem after health problem and has somehow peg you as just another attention or even drug seeker.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last time he didn't listen to me, I ended up with a post-surgical abscess which exploded pus everywhere in the middle of the night. He knows I don't agree with him, and he knows I'm getting a second opinion from someone who isn't a cardiologist.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Last time he didn't listen to me, I ended up with a post-surgical abscess which exploded pus everywhere in the middle of the night.
That's awful! Why did you even go back to him? That would have made me lose complete confidence that the doctor had any skills, or sense, at all.

Good luck getting a doctor who will work with you. I suggest maybe a new cardiologist, too...
If there's any way you can get a hold of everything in your medical files you may want to do that. Given his attitude towards you so far he may have added some rather negative notes that could cause you problems in the future.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's awful! Why did you even go back to him? That would have made me lose complete confidence that the doctor had any skills, or sense, at all.

Good luck getting a doctor who will work with you. I suggest maybe a new cardiologist, too...
If there's any way you can get a hold of everything in your medical files you may want to do that. Given his attitude towards you so far he may have added some rather negative notes that could cause you problems in the future.
Yeah, I would 'beat feet' out of there. What a jerk! There is ultrasonic evidence of the stones, fer cryin' out loud! Right? And yes, you are entitled to a copy of your records - they belong to YOU! Legally.

My mom was in her 20's when she had her gall bladder removed. Young women CAN and DO have this problem, as attested to by comments on this site.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cardiologist is a great guy and we've developed a good relationship with him. If I have any concerns he will always squeeze me in the next day, and to be fair he IS an excellent cardiologist for my condition. Just not too good with other stuff.

I think he's just gotten so comfortable with us now, that he doesn't try to sugar coat things. Yesterday when he came into the room (it was late in the day), the first thing he did was loosen his tie, and undo the top button and talk to DH about tech stuff.

He annoys me when he doesn't take my concerns seriously, and doesn't consider all the circumstances, but he is a great cardiologist.

Yesterday while I was there, they put together all my scans, blood tests and doctors reports, so I can go see someone else. My cardiologist even told us the software to download (which is free) so we can look at everything ourselves.

So here's a still from my ultrasound showing the gallstones

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know... it's just that this concerns me a bit:

He annoys me when he doesn't take my concerns seriously, and doesn't consider all the circumstances, but he is a great cardiologist.
Obviously it bothers you, too. But doctors are human too, and one flaw we're all prone to is getting stuck in our own mindset and ignoring facts. Unfortunately this can be bad for the patient if the doctor won't listen because they've already made up their mind.

I'm glad you are going to another doctor. Your scan looks horrible. It's only a matter of time till you get very sick from it - so surgery, again, will be in your future.
Mine didn't look nearly that bad, but it was making me sick enough that doctors wanted it out.
While I'm one of those 5% that end up with diarrhea issues after and still have GI issues, I'm glad I finally had it done.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If that dark, oval-shaped object in the center is your gall bladder -- then OMG it is full of calcifications!!!

The cardiologist SAW this and still thinks this is in your head????

The fact that he didn't believe you had an infection until the point that an abcsess ruptured?????

Holy moly!!! When I presented with an infection(abdominal not incision) after my lap hysterectomy - pain and fever - my gyn sent me to the emergency room straightaway!! It was caught when it was still relatively small... otherwise I would have needed drains and more surgery, etc.

My brother is a doctor - not a gyn or a surgeon and when I told him what was going on, HE KNEW EXACTLY WHAT WAS HAPPENING!!!!!

Your cardio may also be one of those men who poo-poos women when they are sick. I've seen that and experienced it, too.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes the dark oval is my gall bladder, and the light spots are the stones.

I also had ER tell me I didn't have an infection, and a couple of other doctors - I had no other typical symptoms (no fever, blood tests were fine etc), but my cardiologist was the last one I saw and I specifically said "I think the staph infection is back".

I go see my family doctor tomorrow at 3pm, armed with my scans.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I go see my family doctor tomorrow at 3pm, armed with my scans.
Let us know if your GP is as shocked as we are at your scans.
Good luck, though.