Anyone ever tried LED collars?

chiarabab

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Due to a big change in our lives and living situation, we decided to let our (male, neutered) cat Fletcher become an inside/outside cat. I don't want to start a huge debate about this, as we are quite paranoid about our cats' safety and well being, and it was an overthought and overanalyzed and well informed decision on out part: we live in a city with no dangerous wildlife or stray dogs around, and in an area with no cars, so green and quiet that very young children and other cats are let out unsupervised constantly with no incidents. Due to Fletcher's temperament we decided it was for the best, and as it turns out it really is.

By the way, we are constantly looking for ways to reconcile his needs to go out and explore with our needs to keep him safe and know where he is. We are thinking about having him wear a collar with a small plate and a bluetooth tracker such as this one, but this doesn't solve one of our main problems: it can get very dark here, and Fletcher is black. We'd like him to be visible.

So we found out the existence of LED collars, like these:

[the picture is not mine]

Has any of you ever tried these? I'm willingly not linking any specific brands because there are many out there and I want opinion on everything :)

(by the way, I am more than willing to go into further details as to why we decided to let him out, I just don't want the discussion to derail completely in that direction)

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not yet....This past Xmas was planning on buying (online but local distributor) leash/collar set for 20.00 just for more visual for night time walks, dark @ 5 during winter....it's a great idea for added protection.  

.......*for your intended use I'd be concerned if it works as a break away collar? 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chiarabab

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is something that will be checked for sure before buying it. They seem like a rather new product so there aren't many reviews around, and I'm also unsure about their availability in my country, but they are a really cool idea for both your intended use and mine!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I see a lot of dogs with the collars on around here, and they make them easy to spot (though it can look a little eerie in the dark :lol3: ). Some of the collars blink, which I've heard can be very disturbing to either dogs or cats, not to mention epileptics, so be sure to get one that either doesn't blink at all or that has two settings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chiarabab

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's very useful advice @jcat, thanks. I do worry that it can get annoying for them, and I say that after I almost sliced my hand open trying to take the bell off Fletcher's collar this morning, the noise was driving him nuts :D

Here in Oslo it is quite common to see LEDs on dogs' collars, especially since the winter is so dark all the time. Hell, I wear reflective gear when I go out during the night!