Anyone ever have their male cat spayed?

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder why they would even need to remove that testical? Or is it different with cats than humans? (My son-in-law had one that never decended....and when he and our daughter went for fertility testing the doctors told him that that testical was useless anyhow) Could they maybe just remove the "good" one and leave the other????

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

I wonder why they would even need to remove that testical? Or is it different with cats than humans? (My son-in-law had one that never decended....and when he and our daughter went for fertility testing the doctors told him that that testical was useless anyhow) Could they maybe just remove the "good" one and leave the other????
I was told that there was a higher risk of cancer in an undescended testicle.

tailsoluv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lndscpsam

My darling 7 month old Persian boy, Sluggo, is going to get spayed tomorrow. He has just started marking the house, so this is essential! I've been putting off getting him neutered because he has an undescended testicle and the vet suggested waiting a while instead of doing the more invasive surgery. Has anyone else ever had this done and did it go well? Sounds to me like it's risky for a male? I love my boy dearly, but I can't put it off any longer with him peeing everywhere now.
I like the name Sluggo!!! Been watching a lot of old Saturday Night Live episodes??

Anyway, the procedure will not be a spay, it will still be a neuter, but the procedure will be more invasive than the average neuter. Any surgery, no matter how minor, is still risky, but it shouldn't preclude you from going through with it. As long as the anesthesia is properly monitored and you have a competent surgeon for a vet, your boy will do just fine. Monorchidism is a relatively common problem (although I know a woman who owns an hermaphridite), and I imagine that this is not a first-time operation for your vet.

My only other advice, if you can deal with the spraying, would be to wait for another month or two. The reason for this is that it is quite common that an undescended testicle will descend, if it is going to, by 10 months of age. After that, it is not likely to descend.

Barb Amalfi

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The undescended testicle still produces testosterone, which in turn still gives you a cat with un-neutered tendencies, such as spraying, aggression, and very smelly urine.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes male cats that start spraying before they're neutered continue to spray after they're neutered. I still think it's better for them to be neutered before puberty, even if the more-invasive surgery to recover the undescended testicle is required.

twinka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have a dog with an undescended testicle, and the reason it must be removed is that the retained testicle is likely to become cancerous later on. I am not looking foward to his surgery either...
hope sluggo is feeling better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
tailsoluv said:
I like the name Sluggo!!! Been watching a lot of old Saturday Night Live episodes??

Actually no. Sluggo is named after the old cartoon "Sluggo & Nancy". Remember that one? The cartoon character, Sluggo, is a tough little boy. My persian is a white & blue van bicolor which means he's primarily white. He has a blue splotch just above his left eye which makes him look like he got punched in the eye. He's just a tough kitty boy! Btw, Sluggo is recuperating wonderfully. He's been zipping around the house and climbing with no problem.