anyone ever had...

babybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is sleep paralysis. I have never heard the term "old hag" syndrome before, it was actually a really funny read
Especially because I have experienced these symptoms along with others. I have Narcolepsy so I went trough many years of this(and still am going trough it), but I had hallucinations too. It made me feel like I was going insane, and actually thought that I was. Didn't really say anything about it, until I was taken to the hospital with a seizure(photosensitive). And then months and months went by, was sent to a neurologist who got me tested, and finally could explain to me why this was happening.

What they are describing in that article is more likely a sleep disorder rather than a paranormal phenomena.
The people who experience this most likely have a sleep disorder and can be tested for it, or anxiety but that can be tested as well

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had it many times, but I've thought of it as more of a paralysis than as someone pinning me down. The "old hag syndrome" name would never have occurred to me. I couldn't move or speak, as though I'd been bitten by some giant spider.

Good Halloween subject!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I might have had this happen one time years ago. I don`t remember having a crushing feeling on my chest...and I must have had my eyes open because i could see my husband asleep next to me...but could not move a muscle ,even to touch him with my hand ,which was only inches from his back. I thought I`d suddenly become paralyized. It was terrifying. I finally talked myself into going back to sleep , knowing that he would eventually wake up and find me. (Or if it was just 1/2 sleep and 1/2 awake it sure was vivid!) When I awoke later i was just fine...so maybe just a dream.(?)

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very interesting (I had to read your link to learn what it is).
My daughter had this experience at college a few years ago - only it felt like it was sitting on her legs. Her campus is known to be haunted (used to be a medical school - near a cemetary - the students would dig up cadavers for their dissections).

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever woken from a dream and can still see the images (with their eyes open)? I have done this many time, and it's always of spiders. It freaks me out!!!! Once I got out of bed, turned on the light, and they still wouldn't go away!

joobihlee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My partner experiences this often. She has done a lot of research but i'm not too knowledgeable about it myself. She tends to get it more when she's particularly stressed or ill, I will wake up hearing her whimpering, she feels like she's screaming, and the only way to get her out of it is to shake her until she's awake. She says it feels like a black, evil presence is coming over her. Very scary.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had both kinds. Actual sleep paralysis...and the kind where you wake up unable to move because you've got three cats pinning you down.
The former is significantly scarier than the latter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noggin123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i freaked myself out reading a website id found. last night i woke up every half hour saying to myself 'the old hag will not get me... not me... ever'

her house is over 300 years old and she thought it were ghosts. i kept seeing shadows moving in my room last night i was sooo scared.