Anyone else wanna see Mamma Mia?!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I knew I was out of touch, but... somehow I knew nothing about this movie until I saw part of a preview in the theater a few weeks ago. If I'd known it had anything to do with ABBA, I would have run screaming from the theater. I HATE ABBA!

But since I didn't know any better, I went to see it, and I even took my mom with me. And y'know what?

I loved it. LOVED IT! And so did Mom.

Even after I caught on that these were ABBA songs and I'd been suckered in... I still loved it.

I knew Meryl Streep could sing, because she and Lily Tomlin were such a wonderful sister act in "A Prairie Home Companion." But it was more her gift as an actress that made the song "The Winner Takes It All" an unforgettable piece of film -- and I hate that song!
It's worth going just to see her so on fire with that song.

Pierce Brosnan's voice was a surprise -- at first, I thought oh no... but then it grew on me. And Christine Baranski really can sing, and of course, she's always hilarious.

I never listen to critics. Most of them are only out to demonstrate how terribly sophisticated they are, anyway, so I'm delighted to find myself opposing them!

Go see it! It's two hours of silly fun, and who couldn't use a little of that?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not to put to fine a point on it, the movie and play are billed as "Based on the music of ABBA." I haven't seen it to know exactly what that means, but I know everyone has been very careful to say, "NOT about ABBA!"

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's one of the things I asked for for my birthday, for my sister to take me to see the movie. I'm hoping that we'll see it this weekend. I saw the musical on Broadway and loved it!