Anyone Else Use Coconut Oil?

amycat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nutiva organic coconut oil placed on my cats front leg  has helped  to reduce the amount of his hairballs,

pompy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use it on my skin because I have KP, and it helps reduce the rough 'bumps' and patches. While the dogs love licking me after I use it (not very pleasant to be covered in dog slobber after a shower!), I could never get Felix to take any. He just doesn't seem to consider it edible...I might have to discreetly mix some into his canned food sometime.

greg farnsworth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm doing some research on the coconut oil. I have a cat with tooth problems and know that coconut oil kills bacteria when used in the mouth. (didn't know it was good for fleas but that's another plus.)

For humans, I put it in my oat meal and I'm not dead yet. :)

I'll post again once I find out about any harmful effects it might have on cats.

mscatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Greg,

The subject of coconut oil is of great interest to me as one of my kitties absolutely loves it. I discovered this while rubbing it on my hands one evening, and she begged to lick it off. Since then, she gets a little every night. Consequently, I have been doing extensive reading about it and have only come across one article that warns against it. http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/coconut-oil-and-cats/ .  Everything else I read supports the use of it for a variety of reasons, including prevention of hairballs. In addition, I have also seen coconut oil products on cat supply web sites including Only Natural Pet. 

Oooops, I just noticed I already posted this information. Sorry to be repetitive. Must be my old age......

Last edited:

shannonmari1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I honestly have never heard of giving coconut oil to my pets, dogs or cats, so I googled "Is coconut oil bad for cats?" I got a lot of hits, for both the benefits and dangers of coconut oil. I tend to trust best the vet links, where the majority state that in moderation, coconut oil won't hurt your pet. My cats already have shiny hair so I'll pass on the coconut oil but I might use it for myself! :)

Here are a couple of links, if anyone is interested. You can decide for yourself. :)

https://www.care.com/a/coconut-oil-for-cats-not-just-for-people-anymore-20150923001905

http://www.thedrakecenter.com/blogs/risks-and-benefits-coconut-oil-for-pets

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedaily.../coconut-oil-over-hyped-super-food-pets-32910

http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/coconut-oil-and-cats/

Shannonmari :)

hairibe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are correct to not give it to your cat. It is fine for dogs, my dog has it daily and I has helped her dry itchy skin. But it is not a good oil to give to cats! It can be very harmful to them

catntonic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! I started Sia cat 6 days ago to cure her diarrhea issue and it is working great. Our dogs and entire household is on coconut oil.
Tidbit:coconut contains albumin which is in egg whites and helos with red blood formation.

deborah sevin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so happy to find this. My furbaby has skin dermatiis from flea reaction and I am going to use the coconut oil on her. I know my sister has been using it on her dogs with great results.

gingeravocato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use coconut oil on myself religiously.  I swish with it (Google "oil pulling"!), I use it as lotion, I use it as makeup remover, and I cook with it.  I haven't tried putting a tiny amount in my cat's dish but I'm not opposed to trying.  I argue it's some of the best stuff out there. 

My 12-year old kitty is now eating a balance of high-quality wet and dry food since being diagnosed with hyperthyroid and some sensitive tummy issues.  I've also mixed in a little plain Greek yogurt with her wet food to supplement her diet and keep her full.  I'll have to see how coconut oil pans out too.

lakedweller520

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness!! I love coconut oil ... and seem to find a new use for it daily. :) thanks for all the info here! So helpful and thought provoking!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will let you in on some personal information: If you have a sun allergy or sun sensitivity do not use coconut oil on your arms, face or check/neck. Some people have contact dermatitis with it.

I have severe sun sensitivity and put some on my arms over night, was out in the sun for only a few minutes the next day and turned really red on my arms very quickly.

I haven't used it on my cats but one of mine has some spots on her neck and I will try using to see if it will help.

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
  My big old boy kitty ( Earl Grey ) has had irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for several years. I have tried EVERYTHING - he is so big I can't force him to take his nasty tasting medicine - so have ended up giving him nothing and feeling like such a bad mom.  While I was cooking one night he got into my coconut oil and was LOVING it so I thought if it's good for me, it might help his digestive problems. Voila !!  His diarrhea is better, he doesn't cry when he poops and his over-all personality is much nicer. Have started giving it to my little shy girl kitty (Dolly) and although she is still painfully shy, she doesn't barf nearly as often and haven't seen a hairball recently. Have no scientific proof that it works ..... I'm just sayin" ......
was hoping that it didn't cause diarrhea like fish oil?

sandie1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tried it tonight, 1 tsp for 4 cats. 2 older cats, 1 walked away and the other threw up all the food. The 2 younger ones,10 months old chowed down. So the verdict is still out.

beach potato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
​My Vet told me this 5 years ago, also pointed out the method the oil is extracted is not governed by any oversight authority. The demand for coconut oil has black marketer's using a lot of chemicals and petroleum distillates to work the product to a soluble oil... its not safe. Unless you buy at a local Health food store. Don't poison the animal or yourself - look up and read what Dr. Macula had to report on this recently. I would never use it.

beach potato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
According to health expert Dr. Joseph Mercola, there is no evidence that the naturally-occurring saturated fat in coconut oil poses a threat to health. Instead, he says that saturated fats, especially those from animal and vegetable sources, can improve your health in a number of ways.

Saturated Fat: The Secret to Coconut Oil’s Success

Virgin coconut oil has been linked to a number of health benefits. It owes its success to its saturated fat content.

Fifty percent of coconut oil’s fat content oil is lauric acid, a healthy saturated fat rarely found in nature. This fatty acid is converted by your body into monolaurin, which is known for its anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-protozoa properties. It has been found to help eliminate lipid-coated viruses and pathogens. Another type of fat found in coconuts and coconut oil is capric acid, which also contain antimicrobial properties.

Virgin coconut oil is also the best source of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs). Compared with long-chain fatty acids (LCFAs) found in vegetable oil, MCFAs are smaller and easier to digest, putting less stress on your digestive system. MCFAs are also stored as energy rather than fat, and can stimulate your body’s metabolism.

Make Virgin Coconut Oil Your Cooking Oil of Choice

Clearly, coconut oil proves that not all fats are bad for you. According to Dr. Mercola, it is the ideal fat to use when you’re looking for replacement for grains and sugar. In fact, he consumes about one quart of coconut oil a week.

Coconut oil is also the best type of oil to use in the kitchen, as it has a unique composition that makes it resistant to heat-induced damage.

While Dr. Mercola does not recommend frying food, he advises doing it with coconut oil instead of hydrogenated oils, such as corn, soy, and canola. The hydrogenated varieties contain omega-6 fats that are susceptible to oxidation and can form toxic substances like trans fat, or unsaturated fats artificially manipulated into saturated fats that are detrimental to your health.

You are better off avoiding vegetable oils completely, as most of them are genetically modified. Over 90 percent of soy and corn crops in the United States are genetically engineered.

Coconut oil is also better than extra-virgin olive oil. Although olive oil contains monounsaturated fat, it should only be used as salad dressing. Olive oil’s chemical structure makes it prone to heat-induced damage.