Anyone Else Suffer from Migraines?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by leesali

My doctor gave me something called Butalbital...which is actually caffeine based. From what I've been told caffeine opens all the arteries & lets the blood flow so the migraine will subside.
actually, caffeine is a vaso-constrictor, less powerful than the triptans (imitrex, zomig, etc). nicotine is also a vaso-constrictor. i noticed before i quit smoking that a cigarette would often improve a migraine, especially if i catch it early, as will excedrin, due to the caffeine. the pain is when the vessels dialate, which is why the vaso-constrictor helps. i use imitrex or excedrin, depending on the severity of the headache. they have gotten less frequent as i've aged (one of the few perks of aging!). at one point in my 20's i was unable to work due to the frequency. i've discovered several of my food allergies can trigger a migraine, as well. so avoidance of known triggers has also helped to lessen the frequency.

kev

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For me - they are and seem to have been a weekly occurance for years and years. Its taken nearly two weeks to throw the latest and its not in any hurry to go. It just gets to a stage when I can manage for a while and then I get the chores done. Then, its back again.
Had a terrible one the last few times, I think and I cant swear to this, that as I have cut back on coffee massively, this has caused them. The caffeine withdrawl has caused them. Within 20 minutes of a strong coffee, I settle again, therefore, am back up to full quota again with the coffee and the head is not so bad.
Can one buy caffeine pills?
Hope your head feels better anyway
K

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have't been around the board much for the last 3 days because the migrane fairy has been visiting.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kev

Hope your head feels better anyway
K
Here, in the US, they're sold OTC under the brand names NoDoz and Vivarin, among others.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is some OTC "Migrane" pills that you can get too. They contain Asprin-Aceto---- (I think) and Caffiene. They really helped take the edge off of mine this morning.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kev

excedrin containes caffeine, acetomenophen & aspirin. i find it works even better if i also take ibuprofen (generic advil) & ketoprofen (orudis KT - no generic available yet). i always buy the store (generic) brand of excedrin, usually stocked right next to it. as previously stated, you can find straight caffeine only pills as well, usually marketed for alertness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank-you for all the suggestions on those nasty migraines. The constant "congo" beat has finally stopped

I was taking Extra Strength Tylenol but will definitely give Excedrin a try. As far as the straight-up caffeine pills...I hate that jittery feeling but I suppose it is better to tremble from caffeine than shake from congo drums in your head

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Talon

I have't been around the board much for the last 3 days because the migrane fairy has been visiting.
There must be some weird weather thing going on here in Ohio-I've been home today with a migraine.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you are feeling better - as of right now, I am feeling human again.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by journey

Whoa - low fat milk? I have never heard that before. How did you find that out?
By trying to drink low-fat milk at my sister's house. I had tried non-fat milk before, because it's supposed to be better for you, but it caused me to have terrible bloating, cramps & "the runs" and, of course, a very bad headache. Finally, a reservation doctor, very knowledgeable about lactose intolerance which is common to Native Americans/Hispanics, explained to me that the lower percentage of milkfat per volume, the higher the lactose percentage! Duh! And I couldn't figure that out myself - geesh!
Anyway, my cats & I do okay on whole milk, but half&half, and of course, CREAM
are more easily tolerated.