Anyone else run out of everything all at once?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone else run out of everything all at once?

Today I went grocery shopping and ended up having to spend over $200 extra because I ran out of pretty much everything.

Today in addition to food, I ended up having to buy the following:

Laundry soap  $14.00

Fabric softener  $7.00

Dish washing liquid  $5.00 for 2

Dish washer detergent  $12.00

Paper towels  $6.00 for 2

Distilled water for my CPAP and my floor steamer $6.00 for 4 gallons

Trash bags (large and small)  $17.00

Shampoo  $6.00

Conditioner  $6.00

Deodorant   $6.00

Poise pads  $22.00

Cat litter   $40.00 for 4 bags.

Aluminum foil  $8.00

Freezer bags  $15.00 for 2 sizes

Toilet tissue  $9.00

Cereal    $12.00 for 2  (non sale price is $20.00)

Toilet brush $12.00  (I accidentally threw out the one I use to clean my cat boxes)

Puppy pads for under the cat litter boxes $15.00

I can't believe how the stars lined up so that I had to buy all of that extra stuff in one shopping trip!!!  I literally couldn't put any of it off until my next shopping day because I had already run out, or was about to run out of everything listed.

Sheesh!  

Anyone else's luck run the same?

Last edited:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I hate shopping, so I make a few big hauls of grocery and household stuff a year, when various stores have great sales. Lately, I've been ordering this stuff online, and having it delivered.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Here's the order that arrived yesterday:

4lb can of peanut butter (I eat a lot!)

2 cat beds for Sarah Jane (her first "real" beds!)

6 packs of paper plates (cats)

6 boxes sugar-free apple cider mix

4 gallons vinegar

1 make-up concealer stick

1 fleece throw (for Sarah Jane!)

2 boxes cereal

3 boxes of 100 tea bags (for iced tea)

4 boxes of pasta

16 boxes Red Zinger tea bags (I drink this every day, several times)

4 boxes fruit/grain bars

12 packs beef ramen noodles

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stock paper towels.  I currently have 50 rolls.  Had bought about 120 total(10 packs). I bulk buy everything as I hate going and would rather fill my truck once then a bunch of little trips.  I have dish soap to last till summer or so(coupons!)  We hardly ever get to a point we are even close to running out.  I rotate what I have to ensure that is is fresh.

I am planning a big stock up end of month with cat food and some randoms. 

Have to say I ahve never run out of trash bags.  Dumping all these boxes...I would not know what to do:p

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I hate shopping too.  In my case, it seems I run out of all the HEAVY stuff at once--litter, cases of cat food, beer!--whatever weighs a ton. And the funny part is, I drive a Mini Cooper.  You would not believe how many big boxes and pounds of stuff I have managed to stuff into the back of that thing!  LOL

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It's not so much that I'm running out of things right now as much as it is that I'm starting to stock up a bit for the holiday baking and for the big dinners that are coming up. I bought two bags of all-purpose flour, a bag of bread flour, and a 25-pound bag of sugar, two bags of brown sugar (one light and one dark), a couple cans of Crisco, four pounds of butter, and some chocolate chips on Monday when we were at the store. But it was all on sale and/or I had coupons, so it wasn't too bad. 

Jif was on sale last week (2/5) and I had two 50 cents coupons, each good for one jar and one was doubled, so that worked out well. Got that for peanut butter sandwich cookies for Christmas. And we really like peanut butter here, too. 

I also grabbed a couple bags of frozen pearl onions to make my creamed onions for Thanksgiving (frozen pearl onions are only available around here during the holidays....you cannot find them any other time of the year. So I buy extra bags to see me through until they're available again.).

Ocean Spray cranberries also on sale at 2/5 and I had 4 $1.00 coupons, so I bought four bags, tucked them into freezer bags and threw them into the freezer to make my cranberry relish for the holidays. 

I'll continue to buy items that I need for dinners and such. I'll get my produce and my dairy products the week of Thanksgiving, but I'll have everything else I need by next week. I have a 25-pound turkey in the freezer, so I don't have to worry about that.

I always have tea bags as we drink a lot of iced tea, both sweetened and unsweetened. One of the drawers in my pantry closet contains nothing but boxes of pasta, different kinds of pasta. I wait til it goes on sale and then I stock up. San Giorgio was 77 cents a box last week, so I stocked up then. I also like Barilla's whole wheat pasta, so I buy those two brands primarily.

And paper towels. 
 I really should buy stock in paper companies.

Betsygee, I have a PT Cruiser. You wouldn't think it to look at him, but you'd be absolutely amazed at all the stuff I can pack into that car. Or as one of my GFs said to me, "Man, the stuff that comes out of that car sometimes!!" She cannot believed everything that that car can handle. I can't fit half the amount of stuff into my Tucson that I can into my Cruiser.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Natalie, seems like some of the prices are high that you paid. I buy a lot of that stuff at the dollar store. Right now our grocery store is running a promotion thingy that spend $40 each week for six weeks and get a $20 food coupon credit for the holidays. It suns about eight weeks to give folks a better chance. I have been trying to space out my stuff I need and take advantage of this offer.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

And paper towels. 
 I really should buy stock in paper companies.

Betsygee, I have a PT Cruiser. You wouldn't think it to look at him, but you'd be absolutely amazed at all the stuff I can pack into that car. Or as one of my GFs said to me, "Man, the stuff that comes out of that car sometimes!!" She cannot believed everything that that car can handle. I can't fit half the amount of stuff into my Tucson that I can into my Cruiser.
Ooohhh, I like the Barilla's whole wheat pasta, too.  And you're right about the paper towels, I go through tons of them, too--I guess it goes with the territory of having lots of cats, there's always something to clean up.  

Oh yeah, the PT Cruiser--my sister had one of those.  She liked the storage space, too.  I put down the back seats of the Mini (useless anyway unless a person is about 2' tall and needs no leg room) and I can get quite a bit of stuff back there!  :-)

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Ford SUV.  I really thought of getting a metal bar/dog "gate" for right behind the front seats as I pack it sooo tight and sometimes things knock into me while driving.  I tend to save and make a big haul so I may hit up to 10 stores in a few hours.  Much easier during winter so nothing spoils but will do it during summer and do 2 trips-one of just stable foods and other of frozen/fridge items.  No ac in truck but I get the coolers and try to get lots of frozen to use as ice packs.  

Paper towels...I really really need a room just for paper towels.  It would make my life much easier as it is hide a pack or two under here, behind that, or in the closet.  I sometimes forget I have a pack :S

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Natalie, seems like some of the prices are high that you paid. I buy a lot of that stuff at the dollar store. Right now our grocery store is running a promotion thingy that spend $40 each week for six weeks and get a $20 food coupon credit for the holidays. It suns about eight weeks to give folks a better chance. I have been trying to space out my stuff I need and take advantage of this offer.
Linda lives in Canada--aren't things more expensive there, on the average, than in the U.S.? (Or perhaps my knowledge of this comes from paperback book covers, from working in the library for so many years: "Price higher in Canada"
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natalie, seems like some of the prices are high that you paid.

Linda lives in Canada--aren't things more expensive there, on the average, than in the U.S.? (Or perhaps my knowledge of this comes from paperback book covers, from working in the library for so many years: "Price higher in Canada"
)
Yeah, our cost of living here is high.  And in Manitoba we have one of the highest cost of livings in Canada. There are a few cities above us, but not many.

That's why many of us who live near the border tend to go across it to buy stuff.