Anyone Else Have Problems With A Cat And Humidifiers?

jomac400

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Having just introduced Osorio and Tookie, I'm having a bit of a problem with Osorio.

In winter it gets extremely dry in my apartment and that gives me headaches. I was told years ago to get humidifiers which worked perfectly. Headache went away as soon as there was enough moisture in the air. All the cats I've had ignored the units.

Except Osorio... I always kept the units on the floor on top of some plastic. Osorio wraps his paw around the unit and then head butts it off the plastic and just moves it around. I thought, OK, let me try them up on small tables. Maybe they won't intrigue or annoy him as much. That worked for about a week. Tuesday night around 10pm, I hear this small crash and there's one of the humidifiers on the floor. Fortunately the tank didn't break and only the water from the reservoir spilled and I was able to clean it up quickly so the floors weren't damaged.

Thought OK, they'll have to go back on the floor as he only pushes them around, does knock them over. Spoke too soon. At 1am, the same humidifier was knocked over and there I was cleaning up water again.

So here I am with 2 humidifiers that I can't turn on and headaches on the horizon. Has anyone had this problem? Any ideas on how to keep the humidifiers from being attacked so I can keep headaches away? I tried using a mixture of vinegar and water on the units as a homemade repellent, but that didn't work at all. The units don't hold the scent. Tried spraying it on something and putting the units on top, but that didn't work either. I'm at a loss and need help as I need functioning humidifiers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jomac400

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 of these and one I didn't even bring out as it's tall and knock-over worthy. Had to resize the picture so hope it comes out all right.

Attachments

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one that steam comes directly out the top. I placed it inside an empty tidy cats litter bucket. This works well for me. They can't turn it over, and when not in use I put the bucket lid on.