Anyone else have an Only-Gravy-Licker?

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just make sure the people gravy isn't flavored with garlic and other seasonings, those are toxic to cats!!

ctdude

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thnx!  Good point.  So far we've only given her Heinz's Turkey Gravy.  I was going to use their beef gravy, but checked the label after your post and found it has garlic in it.  Pumpkinseed loves the food blended in the gravy (so far).  Now to see if it stands the test of time.

melinda2538

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was happy to stumble on this (old) thread! I have one who was diagnosed with stones several years ago and one who was diagnosed with renal failure this March. We have c/d & k/d pâté, but they're only interested in their fancy feast gravy lol.[emoji]128078[/emoji][emoji]128078[/emoji][emoji]128078[/emoji]

Tonight I took a small can of fancy feast divided it, added c/d & k/d to each half, dug out my $10 Walmart knock off magic bullet blender and got to work.

After I blended each, I added a couple tablespoons warm water to each bowl (I tried adding water before blending and it got frothy & they looked at me like I was an alien). My kitties are happily eating and I got some purrs, so I must be an acceptable human! Hopefully they will start eating more of their wet foods.

Thanks to every one of you!!!! [emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji]

roxanne brenner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes ME!! He is a 10 yr old male Siamese. Thought it may be his teeth but that isn't the problem. Not sure what I am going to do. Other than his eating preference he acts fine. I don't want to start force feeding...

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten loves gravy, I've noticed that pouch food seems to have tons of gravy compared to canned food. If you want just gravy you could buy Ice pups from The Honest Kitchen (its for both cats and dogs) and you can make a gravy from it, just use less water. My cat loves it. I usually make her gravy for when I want to give her dry food. I pour it on top, or give her a bit by itself as a treat.

blue2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Bengal is a gravy only licker, she wont eat the canned food, she only licks the gravy. So I started to by brown gravy mix, and tuna fish canned, and mix the juice from the two together.  Its Cheaper then buying  canned food just for the juice..

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Blue2 that is really inadvisable!  There is virtually nothing in gravy mix that is good for cats, and a lot that is not good for them. 

And canned tuna is far from ideal either.  Things like unsaturated fats may be good for us.. not so much for cats.  And the mercury level is considered ok for humans, once again, not so much for cats.  The canned fish cat food that you buy has extras that cats need so she will be missing out on that.

I'm hoping people who know more about nutrition will come along and have a chat with you as you obviously want what's best for your girl.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My Bengal is a gravy only licker, she wont eat the canned food, she only licks the gravy. So I started to by brown gravy mix, and tuna fish canned, and mix the juice from the two together.  Its Cheaper then buying  canned food just for the juice..
Agree with Mani that this is not a good idea. Brown gravy mix usually contains both onion and garlic powder, both of which are toxic to cats. It doesn't seem like a lot but it can build up over time and cause problems.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agree with Mani that this is not a good idea. Brown gravy mix usually contains both onion and garlic powder, both of which are toxic to cats. It doesn't seem like a lot but it can build up over time and cause problems.
I am also agreeing with Mani and vball on this. Please take note, Blue2.

Last edited:

valentine2x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten, Kink loves dry food  and the gravy on his canned food. I am trying to find the canned foods that have the most gravy.

galet09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know why this is but I'd like to know because I have three of my own cats that do the same thing! They get either 9 Lives, Friskies or Fancy Feast. and mostly  with Friskies or 9 Lives they basically lick the gravy and leave the morsels. It infuriates me, but I just dump what they leave out in the bowl on my porch for the stray cats cause they are not fussy at all. They will eat it all up!

I guess I will just have to stick to Pate type foods. They do seem to eat 9 Lives Super Supper with no problem, though they never eat all of what I give them but at least they eat a good portion. Now if I give them the best by Fancy Feast which is their Medley's, Florentine, PrimaVera, and Tuscany, they do tend to eat more of those, but they are not swimming so much in the gravy and the meat bits are a lot smaller. But I can't afford to give them that all the time as it is pretty expensive.

It just irks me because I have cut their dry food down because the experts advised that dry food in excess especially is not really good for your cats, especially one of mine who is overweight. So I still feed them twice a day for wet food and you'd think they'd be SO hungry seeing that they don't get much dry food, but they still just lick the gravy up in certain food. Two normal sized cats will eat a little of the food but not a whole lot. But my overweight one is the worst.

I think I'm just going to avoid buying Friskies next month with the gravy type at least and stick to the pate and see how that goes.

ziggysmom1975

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Ziggy is a gravy drinker Too!! He won't touch the pate style and will only eat the bits in gravy, and for awhile he was only drinking the gravy until I figured out that by letting him eat half of it right out of the can, the gravy isn't as drinkable so he can't suck his food dry. He is by no means unhealthy or thin lol. He has a VERY healthy appetite, but I am willing to try anything possible to allow him to enjoy his food. Also, he LOVES the dry cat food and will eat that when the wet food is gone.

ziggysmom1975

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried to make my own gravy for my cat by combining all the wet food I had saved in the fridge (which is the remaining "gravy lovers" that has been licked dry) and putting it in the blender with a little water. at first he seemed to like it, but then he just stopped eating it, looked at me and walked away. I don't know how to entice him to eat and finish his food. He is the absolute love of my and my boyfriend's lives! We just got him from

a couple who had him only a week and were trying to find him a forever home. I guess they got him from a friend who was moving and couldn't take him and they themselves were too allergic to him. He is delightful :0)

only around a year old, already neutered and declawed. I just want him to eat his food! I feed him dry, which he loves, and the fancy feast gravy lovers, which he seems to love as long as there is still gravy in it...

jessica24601

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine too!! And I feel like I waste $60 on Fancy Feast / month as he has to have one fresh can in morn & the other@ night.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
My guy is about 7-8 months old and doesn't favor wet food as much as dry food. I have him on a grain-free dry food, but just to get some moisture content, I give him whatever wet food he'll eat, which happens to be Whiskas Entrees.

I've tried Blue Buffalo, Merrick, Newman's Own, B.F.F., Weruva, NutroMaxx, Friskies, Fancy Feast, Taste of the Wild... LITERALLY every brand out there.

I've learned a few things about his taste... he will ONLY eat pate textured food, because anything that is in a gravy/sauce... he will only lick up the gravy and leave whatever chunks were suspended it.

I can't for the life of me figure it out! Anyone else experience this? I look like a moron in the stores shaking a can of each variety of each brand just to see if it has sauce or if it's solid, lol.
Mine like pate also FF classic are all pate. Natural balance ultra is pate, innova and merrick duck pate, wellness CORE chicken is pate, these are some that my fussy cats eat.

Last edited:

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I buy pates that they like add 2 or 3 tablespoons of spring water (room temp) make it a little soupy by stirring sprinkle the top with small amount if favorite kibble like orijen it has strong smell, and the lap it all up and get the necessary water they need without gravy (which is grain) and not so good for them.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
My "Blue" is exactly the same way. I have tried so many different kinds of food, including fresh raw hamburger and chicken, but he just turns his nose to it, unless it has gravy! He licks the gravy and leaves the rest. He's got a long slim, athletic build... but I worry about his nutrition. I want him to be around as long as possible, which means a healthy balanced diet, not gravy and dry food. Sigh! Glad to hear I'm not the only one dealing with this conundrum! :0)

"Blue" my finicky feline 
So beautiful!

winsley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

My Boy Frankie is the same and he is 6 now, i would be so rich if i had a pound for every pouch of food wasted, he likes gravy and jelly and dry biscuits, he will eat fish types but only a portion, i am still trying to find a variation in his diet, for what it is worth the tescos brand of cat food in gravy is the graviest i have ever seen, fold and squeeze the pouch after putting contents in dish and the gravy will ooze out, short of that i cant help!!!