Anyone Else Have A Heavy Breather?

caelesto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had Harleyquinn for like 5 years, and from the get go I noticed she is more often than not breathing super fast, like she just ran a marathon. I brought her to the vet for it, and then later brought the subject up at every check up. Nothing wrong (thank goodness), but I still find it strange. [And sort of hilarious when she's purring and breathing that fast...]

Any of your kitties do this? As much as the vet tries to convince me there is nothing wrong with Harley, I still get anxious now and then.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Of course you get anxious. And while it can be "just how they are," it can also be a symptom of something going on. Is she active, with good eating and elimination habits? Look, I can't really tell you, not being a vet, and not knowing her personally, but if it really worries you, get a second opinion. If it really, REALLY worries you, get one from a good vet school. It will be expensive, but they do have cutting-edge equipment and techniques! No reputable, responsible vet will be upset at a guardian who wants a second opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caelesto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 vets have said there is nothing wrong. Blood tests, x-rays, the works. She does have some tummy issues (the last vet said it's basically the cat version of IBS, but I forget the name) that give her diarrhea every now and then and she can't eat chicken, I suppose it could be tied into that? She is a total weirdo, so I guess it could also be just another of her weird little quirks. Like dragging my sweaters out of the closet so she can run and jump onto them and go sledding across the hard floors....

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If there's nothing wrong medically I wouldn't worry about it.
My 18mnth old snores and wheezes sometimes. But still eats, plays, chases fights and meows. She'll do it then not do it for months. Maybe it's the angle she's sleeping? Maybe it's a short term illness. Until other symptoms I wouldn't worry about it.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does your cat maybe have a slightly shorter muzzle than the average cat? I think that's what my Zelda has and I actually just started a thread earlier today on that topic because I got curious haha. Zelda's also been looked over by a vet before and they said her lungs and heart sounded healthy so I guess it's just how our cats are made :thumbsup:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
2 vets have said there is nothing wrong. Blood tests, x-rays, the works. She does have some tummy issues (the last vet said it's basically the cat version of IBS, but I forget the name)
Well, there you have it. You've gotten that second opinion, and had the requisite tests, and it's "just her." Now, re the IBS (which in cats is also called IBS and is often accompanied by Megacolon), should that ever become an issue for her and you, we have several members whose cats are living fairly normal lives with it, and we can flag them to talk with you about your questions concerning day-to-day management.