Anyone else dealing with this nasty stomach bug?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in Pennsylvania there is a NASTY stomach bug going around, I didn't know about it until last Thursday when I was around a client at work who said he and his mother had had it and it was rough. Well, Saturday morning I didn't feel well, seemed many times like it was going to pour out of me on the toilet but it didn't, just didn't feel well until I got home from my parents place. I took my temperature and was surprised that I had a slight fever, and a little while later it came out of me, I RARELY throw up but this came out of me so much I still can't believe where all that liquid came from, threw up 5 times in a row, just unreal. I am slowly on the mend, it wipes you out for sure, the fever this morning seems like it is gone, now I am going to try to eat some more things to build my strength up but my gosh this is wicked.

But it also didn't help me that I had one of if not the most stressful weeks of my life last week, starting with seeing my mother pretty much out of it, shaking, crying, acting weird, and despite her saying she didn't mess up with any of her medictaions I found out 2 days later she was OUT of one of her pills that is a neurological pill and once I got it refilled and she started on it again she was fine. The same night I found out they didn't have any hot water because their hot water heater failed but of course they didn't tell us because "they didn't want to bother us". Also that my father fell and hit and bloodied his nose because he went outside using the side door in the snow because the locks and handles on the front door didn't work but she had told me that she had called someone to fix them, so the next day last Sunday I spent 11 hours there and amazingly got a locksmith to take care of the locks and a plumber but when I went downstairs before he got there to check where the hot water heater was located I spotted some sewage water leaking from the bathroom downstairs and saw sewage coming out of the toilet and the shower!!! This turned into a MAJOR cleanup and demolition job that they pretty much finally finished yesterday, but the stress of all of this naturally really took a toll on me so I guess I got hammered extra hard. Oh, and also we went Friday to get their wills and power of attorney and living wills signed, and that was a real run around and it should've been done YEARS ago but we got it done but that was much more stress. So it was one of the most stressful weeks of my life, plus working my full time job around this fiasco.

But anyway, just curious if this is going around in your area? A few people said it might also be Covid but I called the place where I was tested twice already since last October and the doctor told me the ones with Covid have mild nausea and stomach issues, not violent like this was, and they are seeing this happen in other people.

It's a great life if you don't weaken but right now I'm pretty damn weak......:sigh: 😞

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norovirus (Norwalk) is going around here (Northern Ontario). My co-worker had it last week. It's very contagious and can be pretty violent. Not fun. I had it about 8 years ago...took a couple of months before I felt up to snuff again. I hope I don't get it again....There's also a nasty cold going around too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Norovirus (Norwalk) is going around here (Northern Ontario). My co-worker had it last week. It's very contagious and can be pretty violent. Not fun. I had it about 8 years ago...took a couple of months before I felt up to snuff again. I hope I don't get it again....There's also a nasty cold going around too.
I never threw up that much in my life in such a short period of time and honestly was wondering "where did all this liquid come from?" because I really didn't eat or drink that much that day! I also wondered if it was food poisoning but my wife ate the same thing I did so I guess not.

I went to the toilet this morning and it wasn't much but it was formed not diarrhea, my fever is down but I feel so so tired which is understandable. I will just keep eating good stuff and drinking but very slowly to try to build up again.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We call those “bucket bugs” here because I give my kids a plastic tub leftover from the hospital to carry or keep near them. I got hit so hard with one back when DH and I were engaged that he had to come take me to the ER for meds to stop it. That was likely food related though. We had ordered subs. He didn’t get sick; but we had different kinds.

I haven’t heard of anything going around here. Hopefully you are on the mend and life settles down for you too!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I have not hear of this going around here, but several years ago I had something similar and it was definitely not fun. I hope you're on the mend. And I hope you're parents are doing well.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I just came back from being tested for Covid since my work said they "suggest" I do so even though it didn't seem like it but the symptoms for Covid are all over the place and it was negative. They said it most likely was a bug but also the immense stress that I was under probably played a huge part in it too, but I am feeling better, pushing it maybe just a bit, but feeling better.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
My gastroenterologist called me in (late) response to a message sent to him yesterday but at least he called me, said there are many viruses going around right now and is glad I am feeling better. I went to CVS to get some more Pedyalite to help me even further and they were down to 2 bottles, so either many people are using it or they are having issues getting it in stock.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not this winter so far! Last winter, though, we had something that hit suddenly and violently. I remember I was sitting on the floor playing with Hobbit wondering what to make for dinner. Within seconds I went from perfectly fine to "I feel a little sick" to vomiting in a wastepaper basket. Thus began the worst sickness I ever had. My husband came home from work, felt fine, then started vomiting in the sink. Then came the rumbly bellies and the need for a lot of toilet paper. We have one bathroom. We would try to sleep, but we would start vomiting in our sleep. We call it "The Night We Do Not Talk About."

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gastroenterologist called me in (late) response to a message sent to him yesterday but at least he called me, said there are many viruses going around right now and is glad I am feeling better. I went to CVS to get some more Pedyalite to help me even further and they were down to 2 bottles, so either many people are using it or they are having issues getting it in stock.
You can make a homemade Pedialyte if you need to. That is what I do. There are a few recipes for it that work just as well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gatorade is fine for adults. Milk with a tiny pinch of salt can also be used, although the taste is a little off. Apple juice or lemonade with a pinch of salt. . .I actually really like salted lemonade. Anything that replaces the sugars and salts that were lost will help. Salted rice water is a traditional remedy but I bet the taste isn't terrific :tongue:.

I haven't heard of anything going around here, but if it does I'm sure I'll catch it, lol.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Not this winter so far! Last winter, though, we had something that hit suddenly and violently. I remember I was sitting on the floor playing with Hobbit wondering what to make for dinner. Within seconds I went from perfectly fine to "I feel a little sick" to vomiting in a wastepaper basket. Thus began the worst sickness I ever had. My husband came home from work, felt fine, then started vomiting in the sink. Then came the rumbly bellies and the need for a lot of toilet paper. We have one bathroom. We would try to sleep, but we would start vomiting in our sleep. We call it "The Night We Do Not Talk About."
Yikes!! This was somewhat similar except it gave me notice in the morning that I wasn't right, felt like it was going to pour out of me many times on the toilet but didn't so I knew something was really off, but it wasn't until I was squatting and bending forward hours later that it hit me and I said "I have to throw up" and luckily I was about 3 feet from the toilet. I still have no idea where all that liquid came from, and I have NEVER thrown up like that in my life, including going back to my drinking days years ago lol!! Really sick, really weird......

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Norovirus is going around. It has been going around all this year.

On New Years Day, I got hit hard and fast with 'something"... I was so sick... So fast... almost out of the blue.. Bathroom ordeals... top and bottom, shaking, feeling feverish, almost shivering... I was so bad, that I took used one of the at home Covid tests, I had just gotten.

It turned out negative, but... so sick that entire day... ice chips and tiny sips of Smart Water. The next day was a lot better, but not completely normal.

I hope you feel better...

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Just met two people today, husband and wife, who had the SAME EXACT symptoms, she described it as "violent" vomiting, and they said they were under no stress like I was so this thing obviously is something going around!

I still feel gassy and upset down in the guts but I have IBS so that takes awhile to settle down when it is cranked up. And that I know the mental stress worrying about my parents made worse, it always does when I'm stressed out.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my co-workers called out today because his kid woke up barfing all over. I hope that's just something he ate and not a sign of something nasty going around :headshake:.